[tccrockets] Re: Question? Whats a good camera for taking Rocket Launch Photo...

  • From: Mike Garrett <mgarrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:01:47 -0800

Larry,

Most point and shoot cameras have too much shutter lag for consistent rocket photos. That is the time between pushing the shutter trigger and actually taking a picture. Some are better than others and pre-focusing helps but you will still have a 50 to 100 mS delay. It doesn't sound like much but it can really frustrate you. If you have kids and shot any sports pictures of them you already know what I mean. And you need one that can rip off up to 20 images in a burst - igniters don't consistently pressure up the motor quickly.

Digital SLR's are the ticket to fix those problems but, as Mark pointed out, they cost considerably more. They put you into the league of advanced amateur with features that need to be understood to be used properly. The other significant benefit of an SLR is lens flexibility/choice (and the associated costs). I also use Nikon's but have been since the 80's so I have a pile of lenses in my arsenal. Nikon is pretty good about compatibility so I move the lenses from camera body to body as the technology advances.

Finally, there is no one "best" camera for you. It depends on too many factors. Look around, keep asking questions and eventually one will stick out from the crowd for your purposes. Buying used is a good way to get your feet wet and not break the bank.

MG

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:29:31 -0500 (EST), moparmbc@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hey Larry:

With a lot of practice you can take a good liftoff photo with any
quality camera that shoots at least three frames per second. But
ideally, if you want to catch most launches (and not just get lucky
now and then), you need a camera that will take at least five frames
per second. Even with five frames per second you will miss some
launches initially, but with practice you will ultimately get most of
them. So look for a Canon or a Nikon (I use) that will give you at
least five frames per second. And try Craigslist for a good used Canon
or Nikon or any other major name brand for that matter. Even for a
good used camera that will go to 5 fps, expect to spend about $500.
For a new one it will be twice that, or more.

Good luck,

Mark