[tcb] Re: using a uhaul tow dolley

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 10:39:34 -0700 (PDT)

Oh, that hurts.  I do not have any personal experience with the tow dolley, but
I have heard lots of horror stories of people flat towing.  I want do it unless
it is a very short trip, like maybe across town to a shop.  However, I have
towed many bugs and busses on a trailer.  My tow trailer probably has over
75,000 miles of hauling VWs without a mishap (knock on wood).  Rather than a
tow dolley I would rent a u-haul trailer and haul it.  Some of the horror
stories I have heard of towing include blown tires on the towed vehicle (which
looks like what might have happened to the DC on a rear tire) and the RGBs on a
bus were not designed for the type of revolutions you are going to be towing
down the highway.  Also have heard a few horror stories on VWs getting towed
while in gear.  Friend bought a VW from someone in Dallas to be delivered to
Longview.  Guy towed it all the way, with the tranny in second gear.  Needless
to say the engine and
 tranny were toast.  Another story with an owner towing his VW behind one of
those big ass RVs, he was towing it with the VW in reverse.  Didn't know it
till other cars flagged him down because smoke was billowing from the rear of
the VW.  If you tow or trailer you have to be darn careful, but in my opinion,
trailering is way safer than towing.