[tcb] Re: turbo's

  • From: Will Wood <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:18:18 -0600

Brian,

I would leave it this way....  I've built a few engines, including ones
with turbos.  Unless I was building something for the track I'd avoid
it, in a bus, especially for the street.

Anytime you compress a gas, it induces heat in the gas... (Molecules
bumpin uglies).  Unless you can dissapate that heat you'll have a hot,
thin (low density) air charge going into the engine.  More heat in =
more heat out and in an aircooled engine that can be a problem.

I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, but how deep are your
pockets?  If it were me, EFI, Intercooler (air to water) and an
aerocharger style with the turbo kept low and out of the engine
compartment.

I'd start by reading some of the books out there.

If you want some simple examples..

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turboflow.html

Now, since you have a bay.  Here's a simpler route to go IMO..

This would be my inspiration... ;-)

http://www.race-taxi.ch/

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/vw-t1-biturbo-porsche-993-racing-in-spa/751231475