[tcb] Re: t@p pain and jeapordy

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:03:47 -0700 (PDT)

Denis:  If it is a stock PIC 30/31 it does.  Chokes normally only cause idle
problems as described when the engine is cold.  Therefore I did not bring the
choke up.  But, yes it should have a choke.  And the way to check if it is
working properly is to pull the aircleaner, depress the throttle to the floor
and then look at the choke butterfly.  It should be almost closed.  Turn on the
key, give it a few minute to let the choke electrical element warm up and
repeat the press throttle down.  Buttlerfly should now be open.

If butterly is stuck open it will cause the exact problems as described:  but
only if the engine is cold.  If it is stuck closed it will cause the engine to
idle too fast when the engine is warm; the opposite of what the problem is.

And damn:  It's hard to tune an engine over the internet.  Or do brake work
either for that matter.

From: Cari Smith <cariandpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, September 27, 2011, 5:05 PM

Denis,

As far as I know the choke is the flap at the top of the carb right?  Is there
a way to test to see if that's the culprit?
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Really. Does it have a choke?

From: Cari Smith <cariandpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] t@p pain and jeapordy
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, September 26, 2011, 5:51 PM

The other Paul Smith and I have worked to get the bus back to road worthy shape
in time for T@P, but we are getting down to the wie.  Here's our problem.  We
have a fuel/air mix problem that we can't seem to kick.  Symptoms are a bus
that does not idle correctly and Paul has to 3-foot it at all stops.  That's
one on the clutch, one on the brake, and one on the gas to keep us from
stalling. The first and easiest answer is to adjust the idle.  The screw does
nothing and based on our Muir book, we cleaned the carb.  Now will hold a
fairly steady idle , but it's too low.  When you engage the transmission it
dies.  Or when you rev the throttle, on the way back down to idle it goes too
low and dies.  So far we have: cleaned carb with carb cleaner, cleaned air
filter, replaced fuel pump and rod, replace valve cover gasket (unrelated),
replaced spark plugs, checked timing, run compression test... all is good.  The
only thing we havent replaced is
 points, but  I surely would have thought fouled points would show up in the
compression test.

Any words of wisdom, we're caught between takinging it to a mechanic down the
street for God knows how much moolah, or skipping Transporters altogether,
which really means we would still come in our pontiac and just camp in a tent.

Help!

Cari smith