[tcb] Re: timing

  • From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:11:27 -0600

so i had a hell of a time adjusting time last night. i finally got it to start i got the wife to keep it running i checked time and it was dead on. i told her to let off the gas it died. finally i got my D&^%^ feeler gauge out and guess what was wrong.

yea so i reread the chapter in the idiot book and here are the steps:

1. Adjust valves
2. check plug gaps <<???? i've never done that one before
3. check plug wires
4. CHECK POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!! <<<<<<<CRAP!!! guess i should of reread the chapter after all the damn problems
5. adjust timming.

so tonight i check the gap on the plugs re check the plug wires adjust the points that have a gap thicker than cardboard then adjust timming. and then i should be on my way.

it's like i forgot everything ya'll taught me last night.

sorry to let ya'll down.

From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: timing
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:00:56 -0800 (PST)

Put a timing light on it to check your TOTAL advance. You should be getting ABOUT 28 degrees of advance with your centrif distributor. 5 degrees BTDC at static should give you approx 33 degrees at full advance. But you don't know if your distributor is giving you correct advance without checking it with a timing light.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: ok the book says 5 degrees before tdc for my particular dizzy. i set it roughly at 5 degrees. i have very little power for hills etc. i just ran the valves at .006 and i set the timing. the exhaust seems to be really friggin'
hot to.

so i adjusted the timing a little bit more the exhaust seems to be cooler,
it seems to fire up quicker and idle smoother and a bit quicker. i have yet
to take it out and acutally test the bus to see if it runs any better.

my question is what in the H-E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS should the timing be set
on?

and i know someone asked me if i was running a degree pulley when i was
having that bit of an oil leak recently. what is wrong with a degree pulley
and is it ok to run one of those so i can be more exact with my timing
adjustments?

simple tips.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMFebtagline

Win a Zune??make MSN® your homepage for your chance to win! http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline