[tcb] Re: thinkin' about a shorty

  • From: Katrina Martin <k.d.martin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 21:32:23 -0500

Here's some sweet short busses...
http://www.vosaclub.org/uploads/short%20bus.jpg

This one's for the ladies
http://www.rvtowster.com/images/Woodward%20Dream%20Cruise/wdc01%20vw% 20short.jpg

Be creative, have fun with your vdub!

Peace let love rule.

Katrina & Dan Martin
71'bus "Homer"
http://web.mac.com/danandkatrinamartin

On Apr 2, 2007, at 9:24 PM, Hayden West wrote:

My bus is my first car, and it has givin' me plenty of trouble and been somewhat of a money pit, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Except maybe if it were a split. :]

--- Hayden

Ronnie Hughes <fracdogii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Shelby,

I went through the VW bus/bug options when I was getting ready to buy my kids their first cars. Some things to consider:

1.  VW's are not safe
2. Reliability. Would you feel comfortable with her driving at night, alone somewhere?
3.  Gas mileage is not that good
4.  You basically have to do the work yourself
5.  No A/C
6.  Few automatics
7.  Steering by "armstrong" not for some girls
8.  VW's are not safe

If you are serious about a VW for her, even though some people will disagree - look for a 1974 or newer Superbeetle. Padded dash, front windshield a little further away from your nose, better front suspension, 5 MPH bumpers and still alot of fun.

I bought my daughter a 3 year old Ford Focus for $7,000 that gets 25 to 30 MPG, air bags, stereo, alloys, automatic, air conditioning, we've driven it to Oklahoma City, Dallas and Chicago in the last 18 months with no problems. You can spend $7,000 on a VW before you know what happened. Old VW's are a blast to drive and have as a second car, but for safe, reliable transportation, there are better options.

Ronnie the old coot

Shelby Shook <sloweyefasthand@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was talking to Amanda today about what car should would like for he first car, and we were thinking about VW trucks, and she really likes the double cabs (who dosn't) but they're so pricey. Then we had the great idea of a shorty bus. Seems like it would be a really fun project. Me and Dad could save some old beat up bus and turn it into a really fun little shorty. Let me know what you guy's think, I'm thinking it's a wonderfull idea but would like to know if it's really difficult to make one. Dad's a good welder and he's got the stuff to do it so I don't see any reason not to. Seems like the perfect car for Amanda.

-Shelby

always stay connected to friends.