[tcb] Re: that wierd noise

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:30:44 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

Now, get your BAW and go out there and TAKE THAT NUT BACK OFF!!!

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this.

Read this: http://www.type2.com/bartnik/torque.htm

I don't have the specs handy but I think the torque for an IRS bus rear
axle nut is suposed to be 267 ft/lbs.

Tighten it more than that and you will destroy your bearings (and possibly
other bits and oieces, I'd have to look at a diagram) within a few thousand
miles.

VW wrote the torque specifications for a reason. I've met you and your Dad.
Like me, you are ... not gravity friendly. ;-)

Both of you on the end of a wrench or cheater pipe more than 1 foot long
would definitely over torque that nut. Me, alone, would have to use a 14"
handle for 267 ft/lbs.