[tcb] Re: tcb emails???

  • From: Jeff Bednar <coitspoon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:58:53 -0700 (PDT)

My good buddy (and mechanic) just opened a shop in Plano. It's on Plano Pkwy
and Coit. He knows quite a bit about Vintage VW's (as he works on all 4 of
mine). He is also Nissan, Honda, and Acura Certified.
He is currently looking for more work. His Labor rate is $65/hr. He's honest
and Knowelegable.
Brian Steelsmith
Steelsmith Automotive
775.292.0488 cell

Thanks,
Jeff Bednar

From: Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, September 25, 2008, 9:39 AM

We're old and busy. At least, I am old and busy. There are plenty of
lurkers.

OK. Here's a subject:

I am still in the process of rehabbing this junkyard door to replace the
destroyed driver's side. I have taken it down to shiny metal and ground out

all the rust, inside and out, have sprayed primer, not liked the texture and
stripped it and sprayed it again, and like it. Today, I may put real paint
to all the parts. Then I can put all the rubber on and the glass in and have
a decent door, which I have to hang and adjust to fit in it's rebuilt hole.

I have had to rebuild all around the damaged area, bending, shaping and
painting metal so that it will look, somewhat, like new if I ever finish.
Oh, and I forgot that I still have to install all the mechanical door works.

Is this why these things go for $15K and up if they are decent looking? Does
everybody who really cleans and repairs every tiny corner go through all
this? Do most people clean every corner? Sammie, was the Bakery bus this
way? Ronnie, did Sparky and Crusty cause you this much grief?

If I ever had to figure out in man-hours, materials and blood what Murray is
worth, it would have to be in the $500K range and not a dollar less.