[tcb] Re: tcb Digest V7 #194

  • From: jhunt <screwyhunt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:52:33 -0500

On 7/23/2010 12:05 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:
tcb Digest      Thu, 22 Jul 2010        Volume: 07  Issue: 194

In This Issue:
                [tcb] Re: Deep oil sump
                [tcb]>] Re: Deep oil sump
                [tcb] Re:>] Re: Deep oil sump
                [tcb] Re: Deep oil sump
                [tcb] Re: Deep oil sump
                [tcb] Re: Deep oil sump

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 07:24:15 -0500
From: Eric Thomas Woodall<ericthomaswoodall@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] Re: Deep oil sump

Yes, and its been that way for decades.

Tracy wrote:
It’s a damn shame too because once upon a time European Motor Parts
Importers was the sh!t.

Now EMPI stands for cheap Chinese piece of crap…

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 06:01:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: sammie smith<bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yep.  I just had the tranny rebuilt for the baja, it cratered the main shaft
bearing bad after a lot of miles of service.  While it was out I thought I
would
replace the shift coupler with a new one, so I told them to throw in a new shift
coupler when they brought the tranny to me, thinking I would get a good old
german new shift coupler.  What they sent was an EMPI repop.  It was such a
piece of trash that I would not even think of putting it on a car.  It went in
the scrap pile and I just used the original coupler that was already in the car
and the EMPI went in the scrap pile.  I did take it out of the package and
tested to see if it would even fit on the shaft of the tranny, guess what, it
was too small to even slip on the shaft of the tranny.

________________________________
It’s a damn shame too because once upon a time European Motor Parts
Importers was the sh!t.

Now EMPI stands for cheap Chinese piece of crap…Â

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 8:27:24 -0500
From:<sgarvie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] Re:>] Re: Deep oil sump

True, no doubt, and I have a few stories of crappy quality, too.  But don't
forget that EMPI does fill a need -- meaning they DO have many parts that are
serviceable and useful.  Definitely not the best quality, but without EMPI
around, it would be much more difficult and more expensive to resurrect and
modify our VW's.

For example -- the rear disc brake kit on my bus is a pretty doggone nice setup -- and at
less than $400, it's a pretty good deal.  It's a "custom fit" kit, which means
-- I did have to do some Customizing to make it fit.  I had to shim the calipers a bit
and I had to make a little guide for the e-brake.  Not a big deal for me, but others may
think that's unacceptable.  It fits good, and tucks nice, so wheel fitment is not a
problem.  The other option is a Porsche 944 rear setup, which is complicated, expensive,
and adds width to the rear track.

I keep an eye out for the crappy stuff, but I'm glad EMPI is still around.

Scotty

From: "Tracy"<pepsifreek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:13:07 -0500

Well then, that gives a bit of a clue as to how old I am. =^)

From: Julie<julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:12:30 -0500

Thanks all you TCBers for the words of wisdom about deep oil sumps!

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:53:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: singlecabboy<sealingwaxred@xxxxxxxxx>

CB or Berg ,both are good.

*From:* tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Some of the empi ones I looked at were junk (buyer
beware)
It has never hit anything.

On Jul 21, 2010, at 7:17 AM, Julie wrote:

The '68 Bus of mine is homemade camper, a one
of a kind which isÂ
cool
but it is much heavier than let's say a
Westy.  It has been suggested
to me to perhaps add a deep oil sump, with the
idea being that more
oil will help the engine that will be working hard
moving such aÂ
heavy
beast stay cooler. Do you think it is a good
idea?
When talking to my local parts guy he wanted
to make sure that I am
aware that the deep oil sump adds up to 2 3/4" to
the bottom of the
engine.  There are some choices that are
thinner but then hold less
extra oil.  Should I be worried about
extending the engine closer to
the ground? I don't imagine doing any crazy off
roading adventures
with this Bus, it is currently in
not-so-great-a-shape so it is odd
just imagining it moving at all.
Julie

To subject of extended oil sump: I would first measure temperature of oil hot
(temp probe in dipstick hole). 210F is okay, 240F is too hot. Make sure fan,
oil cooler and cylinders are clean. make sure thermostatic flap system, if
installed, is working properly. Check engine surround seals for integrity and
good fit. A sunp extension will add some cooling for oil, but may only delay
saturation.

End of tcb Digest V7 #194