[tcb] Re: steering wheel locks....beware!!!!!!

  • From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 13:28:45 -0600

believe me the thought of mine locking up at speed has concerned me a little as well. how do you drill it out? where should i look?

From: "Shirley Hall" <Shirley.Hall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] steering wheel locks....beware!!!!!!
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 12:33:32 -0600

Sunday I returned to Ft.Worth and went to put my 65 camper in the garage. I pulled my 72 bay window into the street and drove the 65 in the garage. When I went to start the 72, by mistake I put the door key in the original key cylinder to start the car. The origianl has been replace with a dash mounted ignition switch. When the door key jammed in the lock cylinder, I pulled the lock core out with the key. I shoved the cylinder back in the grove without thinking much about it. I let the 72 roll back past the driveway, pulled out to the left to go into the driveway on the rigth and it happened.....the steering column locked! Here I am in the middle of my street and I can not turn the wheel. I am now diagonal across the street and I can either sit in front of my neighbors driveway or block the whole street. With the help of the two ladies that live next to me and the 12yr old kid up the street, we were able to jack it up on a floor jack (yes, shirley's megaton floor jack!) and get it to the side of the street. I got the column loose and found the pin for the steering wheel lock pushed back up (thanks larry for telling me where to find it).

To my neighbors it was just a funny incident with two older ladies and a kid rescuing me out of the street. It was funny to me too. That is until it hit me... could have happened when I was changing lanes at 65mph going down I-20?

Here's my thought.... Any vehicle that one buys that has an alternative ignition...DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE STEERINIG WHEEL LOCK HAS BEEN DISABLED.

You bet when I get time this weekend that bad boy is going to have the #$@$!#%!#$%! drilled out of it and removed.

Ya'll drive safe,
Shirley Hall