[tcb] Re: shocks for the front of ol' hershey

  • From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:33:31 -0500

it has been suggested to me to go shockless but just driving it around town it
has sooo much bounce i wouldn't dare take it on the interstate. i measured the
total bounce that the bus has (including tire pressure) if i jack the bus up
till the left front is 1" off the ground and i make a line and then i unload
the jack it only goes down about an inch from my original mark. the fear that i
have though is that when i sit in the bus the bus goes down about 1/4"

if i bend my bumpstops up to where when i hit a bump the bumpstops will catch
it before the shocks bottom out i think it will work to run the lowered beetle
shocks.

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:20:09 -0400From: evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [tcb] Re: shocks for the front of ol' hershey

Good luck and no problem on the questions.  Just remember, your tires will rub
first as it already appears that that's what they're doing.Most of the guys who
run the narrowed beams on bugs fully down don't run the shocks which is unsafe
andwhen you consider a bus, it's even more unsafe.
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Denning Sent: Mar 25, 2008 3:39 PM To:
tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [tcb] Re: shocks for the front of ol' hershey the
ball joints aren't bottoming out and i only plan on driving it that way this
year, and when winter hits i will hopefully have enough dough saved up to buy
drop spindles and new torsion arms, with preinstalled ball joints for the
front. by then it will be time for new ball joints anyway, and it shouldn't be
to difficult of a project either now that i know what i am doing on it. i'll
check with my guy at autozone and see what we can do on durango shocks. thanks
for having patience with me.

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:32:22 -0400From: evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [tcb] Re: shocks for the front of ol' hersheyThe
other alternative may be to use shocks off of a Durango.  I know a few folks
who've done that with the very low setup you have.  I don't knowany more
details on them than that.You do realize with it being all beam that your
caster angle is nearly vertical right?
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Denning Sent: Mar 25, 2008 3:24 PM To:
tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [tcb] Re: shocks for the front of ol' hershey it is
all adjusters, no spindles. from bolt to bolt at ride height is 10.5", a
compressed stock shock from eyelet to eyelet. a compressed lowered beetle shock
from eyelet to eyelet is 9.5"my shocks aren't bottoming out because i don't
have any shocks on it right now...the tires slam into the fender wells on a
huge bump though. when i did have shocks on the front it just sat on the
bottomed out shocks with no suspension...my fear is that 1" of travel with the
lowered beetle shocks isn't going to be enough suspension travel because it
takes 2.5" for the tires to bottom out instead of the shock....it isn't good
ont he shocks for them to bottom out which is why i am asking this question. if
lowered beetle shocks is the smallest thing i can get then i am going to have
to make some sort of adapter to raise the shock mount up an inch or so, so i
can run the shocks without them bottoming out...oh, and the swaybar drags the
ground when going down the road before the tires hit the fender wells too.in
case ya'll are wondering the bus is a little under a half a hubcap off the
ground at the bottom of the bumper, and it's all beam.

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:49:28 -0400From: evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [tcb] Re: shocks for the front of ol' hersheyIf you
have stock bus shocks on their now you're not bottoming them out.  Your tires
are hitting first.   Is all of your lowering in the spindles or are you using
the adjusters to bring it down a bit more?If you are using your adjusters to
get lower, go with the shorter shocks.
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Denning Sent: Mar 25, 2008 2:41 PM To:
tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [tcb] Re: shocks for the front of ol' hershey so
then i could make something kind of like a leaf spring shackle on the back of
an old ford to raise the shock mount up an inch and run the lowered beetle
shocks then?if so i'm calling roy rogers back.

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:20:43 -0400From: evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [tcb] Re: shocks for the front of ol' hersheyThat pic
tells me everything you need to know.  You're already rubbing, so you could
just replace it with what size you have on there now or the short
shocks.Without the bump stop you're travel is only limited by when either a)
the tire hits the tub or b) the Shock bottoms out.  You're in condition "a"
already.
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Denning Sent: Mar 25, 2008 1:57 PM To:
tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [tcb] Re: shocks for the front of ol' hershey what
about if i was to do something like this just to raise the location of the
shock mount:http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/158801.jpg

From: i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [tcb] Re: shocks
for the front of ol' hersheyDate: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:55:42 -0500i was wrong i
have about 2.5" before the tires go into the fender wells.

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:37:24 -0400From: evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [tcb] Re: shocks for the front of ol' hersheyWhat's
your total travel?  Or at least minimum and do you have bump stops on the beam?
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Denning Sent: Mar 25, 2008 12:37 PM To:
tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [tcb] Re: shocks for the front of ol' hershey ok, i
just called roy rogers, there lowered shocks are 9.5" completely compressed.
that would only allow me to have 1" of travel...actually 3/4" once my fat ass
got in the bus. looks like i'll be making an adapter or something so i can run
the 9.5 shock.my adjsuters are 3 down rather than the two...and i really love
the stance. any other suggestions?> Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 06:57:54 -0500>
From: evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [tcb] Re:
shocks for the front of ol' hershey> > > lowered since I have adjusters down
two notches. If I ran stock height shocks I'd be bottoming them out all the
time.> > -----Original Message-----> >From: singlecabboy
<sealingwaxred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> >Sent: Mar 24, 2008 9:59 PM> >To:
<evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> >> >>
>---------------------------------> >body{font-family:>
>Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:>
>#ffffff;color: black;}.hmmessage>
>P{margin:0px;padding:0px}body.hmmessage{FONT-SIZE:>
>10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma}.ExternalClass EC_hmmessage>
>P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass>
>body.EC_hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}I> >run the HD Konis..>
>>
>http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=lowered+shock&Search2.x=0&Search2.y=0&Search2=Search>
2008 7:55 PM> >To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: [tcb] Re: shocks for the front
of ol' hershey> >> >is there a part number by chance? > >> >>
2008 18:39:10 -0500> >To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >> >Get short lowered (shorter)
shocks from a bug.> >> >> >> >---------------------------------> >From: Brian
Denning <i_am_cool_fred@hotmailcom>> >Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 5:50 PM>
>To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: [tcb] shocks for the front of ol' hershey> >>
>i can't find any that are small enough for the front> >of the bus. at ride
height it is 10.5" from shock> >mount to shock mount. what are some of you
lowered bus> >guys running?> >> >---------------------------------> >Test your
Star IQ Play now!> >> >---------------------------------> >In a rush? Get
real-time answers with Windows Live> >Messenger.> >> >> >Paul Smith>
>www.23window.com/thezone> >> >T.C.B.> >H.B.B.> >> >

Test your Star IQ Play now!

Test your Star IQ Play now!

Test your Star IQ Play now!