[tcb] Re: seat removal

  • From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:24:13 -0600

hey man that peanut butter blast is wonderful. i have used it to break loose drum nuts, bolts, screws, lugnutz. the only reason why i didn't try it on the seat was because someone told me that it will collect dirt and shit but duh that is why you clean it off. cool and if it doesn't work i will try the dianamyte thing. that should break loose any screws i might have. i dunno it is pretty solid

From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: seat removal
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 16:04:52 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

First, CLEAN IT UP! Even if you're a neat freak the area around and under a
30 year old set of front seats has gotta be nasty.  Get the shop vac in
there and suck up anything that's not attached. Go ahead and vaccuum under
the seats, behind the seats, and in the wheel-well holes beside/under the
seats. Use a wire brush to knock more stuff loose and vaccuum again. Get it
clean because the next steps will attract every loose particle within a 5
mile radiuis.

Now, head to Wal-Mart or your favorite FLAPS and get a can of PB!Blaster.
Liberally spray the lever mechanism, spring, rails, and catch teeth.

Go have lunch.

Respray everything you sprayed before and start working the lever up and
down until you can SEE the catch teeth release smoothly from the rails
every time.

Get a piece if string/wire for each seat and tie the release lever in the
up position -- hook the string to the steering wheel on that side and find
something on the dash on the right.

Re-spray the parts of the rail that the catch-teeth were covering.

Grab the back of each seat and shake violently side to side.

Get a 2lb hammer and start tapping the seat rails (not the tracks on the
bus, the tubing on the seat) from the back, shifting from one rail to the
other.

At some point after the "go have lunch" part they will break loose and just
slide right out.

When they are out clean the snot out of the tracks and just before you put
them back in grease them up with axle greas or something else that won't
lose it's lubricating properties easily in the presence of significant
amounts of dust and dirt. Something THICK and GOOEY. Thin lithium based
greases seem to fail quickly and turn to glue.

What year is your bus? You say "They slide" and I wrote the above as if
bothe sides have sliders. In my '73 and '74 Buses the passenger seat comes
out by LIFTING the front of the seat and disengaging the rear lower bar
from a set of "hooks".

G2