[tcb] Re: samba 60

  • From: Stephen Brannan <ozarkcycleworks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:57:34 -0800 (PST)

Well put Peter.  I'm glad that there are people dedicated to preserving the
historical value of perfectly original busses and other cars for that matter.
My wife and I have debated the purist topic a few times.  I feel that original
cars should stay original and if a person is going to modify something, please
don't look for as #'s matching OG example.  My wife says that its their car and
they can do as they please.  All my older cars have been messed with already.
So I don't worry about stuff with them.  On the other hand i have a very low
mileage 2003 Mustang Mach 1 that I can't bring my self to modify in any form
deviant from the factory.  I worry about door dings when I drive it.  For this
reason I've thought about seling it and getting a nice used already modified
Mustang GT.  To each their own right.  Yes it is nice that we are free to be
individuals and enjoy all of life in so many ways.   Thanks Peter.

Peter Albarian <pcalbar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Hello Stephen,
Isn't it wonderful that we can all find so many unique ways to enjoy our Buses?
I for one find the purist end of the spectrum far more interesting, and some do
not. Some here like their Buses stock height and others prefer lowered. Some of
us work on and drive our Buses, others hope to have one, some have them and
don't drive them, while others tinker and tinker and tinker. Some of us find
and fabricate to help our Buses match our own personalities, while others of us
think the engineers and factory workers had it right the first time. I've had
VWs for about 23 years now and have always been impressed with how many ways
people can enjoy them without being judged; that is except back when all other
VW people found Buses to be somewhat of a step-child...............look at us
now. I have one nice Bus that I will worry about and enjoy showing as long as I
have it (my daughter says that's until she gets Buster when I'm gone), and
ratty driving or in process Buses that I won't
 worry about. There is a more special bond I achieve with a Bus when we spend
so much time and energy together sourcing correct parts, restoring everything
down to the fasteners, and putting it back as close to the way it left the
factory as possible.........that's not for everyone. It's funny that the main
question I get when driving one of my rats is inevitably when I'm going to
restore it. Most that ask that question are usually quite surprised when I
say.......maybe never. Buses and their people are quite
unique........................enjoy however you do it, and the rest of us will
continue to enjoy in our own unique ways. Isn't that what a hobbie is all
about? And our bonus is that Bus people, no matter which vintage they prefer,
are pretty great folks.
Enjoy your weekend! My son and I are going out to work on continuing our
restoration assembly in hopes of having Buster ready for Steve and Sharon's
little show in a few months.
Yours in Buses,
Peter the Purist

BlackBerry service provided by Nextel