[tcb] Re: octane

  • From: Bob Perring <perring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:51:11 -0600

Not so.
I run regular octane fuel in both of my busses, and they run fine!

I was surprised when, after running Casper on Hi-test for many years, I discovered he was all OK with regular octane.
-but-
When I rebuilt the engine on NeueBus, I increased the combustion chamber a bit, and lowered the compression ratio just a bit, as well, so that regular octane would be acceptable.

With my conservative driving (slow) and the Hull unit electronic ignition set pretty far advanced, I get 22-23 mpg consistently, and never a ping.

In the higher altitudes, (+5,000 ft) I know for sure that the timing will need advanced, and I could possibly discover that the higher test fuel will again be needed.

Here at 550 ft - 1250 ft altitude, I have no problem.

Bob

At 14:35 12/6/2005, you wrote:
Absolutely do not run regular gas in an aircooled VW engine. You will give your mechanic a heart attack. You need more than 90 octane in a VW engine.
Sammie