[tcb] (no subject)

  • From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:34:18 -0500

Peter:
Tried to e-mail this to you off the list but it came back as a bad
address.  So I'm trying again through the list.  Have posted this once
before on the list and didn't get an answer.  Thought I would test your old
bus knowledge.

In 59 VW introduced the 40 hp engine to the bus (not in the bug till
61).  This thing is commonly referred to as the "bastard" 40 horse and
apparently was in some 59s and all 60 busses.  Also, according to my
sources, there was a factory recall on this engine later; in that if you
went into a dealership in 61 and later with engine problems, at no charge
the dealership would pull the "bastard" and install the later 40 hp at no
charge.

My question is:  Do you know what fan shroud the "bastard" engine had?  The
first 40hp Type I had the now common larger squared shroud (unlike the 36
hp shroud) but no fresh air outlets since it was prior to the fresh air
heaters.  Result:  The "bastard" 40 bus engine could have had the 36 shroud
as a carryover or had the first of the later type shrouds without the fresh
air heater outlets.  Have looked in all of my books, including the new one,
and can't find a definitive answer or a photo of the "bastard"
engine.  Also have talked to a couple of old VW mechanics who worked in
dealerships at the time and they can't remember.  Haven't been able to find
a bus guru who knows either.
Sammie