[tcb] Re: no idle after warmup

  • From: "Will" <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 19:42:32 -0400

Plugged idle jet or idle jet circuit

If it is a later 30 31 with the IAC valve that could be the problem too

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On May 12, 2010 6:53 PM, Gerald Livingston &lt;gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;
wrote:

1970 Campmobile

Single port engine (1500 or 1600, I know it's a rebuild but no idea of

the piston/lift)

If the PO of the motor is to be believed then there are about 4000

miles on the rebuild. Roughly 800 by me in the last month or so.

Bought the motor 6 years ago and stuck it in storage for future use.

When I brought it out to put in the Westy  it got:

New plugs

New wires

New rotor

New coil

New condenser

New fuel line

New fuel pump

Fresh oil

(fresh oil again at 120 miles and fresh oil again at 800 miles)

Thorough cleaning of the 30/31 PICT carb

OK,

Maiden voyage was 60 miles each way to a relative's house for Easter

weekend. It hiccoughed a couple of times under acceleration probably

due to crap in the gas tank. It's never done that again.

Next major drive was 320 miles each way to the Texas VW Classic in

Fredericksburg, TX. On the way HOME I started having issues with it

dying at stop lights unless I kept a foot lightly on the accelerator. I

assumed it was an electrical/ignition issue due to the fact that most

of the wiring to the aftermarket ignition switch was still

"twist-and-tape" and the problem happened when driving at night, in the

rain, with everything electrical turned on (lights, wipers, etc). the

problem appeared to lessen when I had either the lights or the wipers

off --- or maybe that was my imagination.

I just finished installing a 3 gauge VDO pod Oil pressure, Oil temp,

Volts. I needed to test the install. I have the front pedal pan off for

paint and tools scattered about so it was a "carport test". Crank it

and let it warm up a while.

The gauges work &lt;applause&gt;.

It idled fine right after I started it. Including after I kicked the

choke off.

But, as it warmed up the idle speed started to drop. Before the oil

temp gauge even started to register I was having to keep a foot on the

pedal to keep it from dying. The VDO oil temp gauge has a low end of

120 F. Using the sump plate sender so actual internal temp is probably

a bit over that before it starts to move.

Why would it do that only after it's warmed up? Ideas?

Thanks,

G2