[tcb] Re: my horns broken

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:43:15 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

The longest horn in that group is 16". Those aren't train horns. A train
horn is about 4 feet long.

Also, 152 decibels. Measured where? Inside the bell? The sound level will
drop off quickly coming out of a small horn.

Locomotive horns are limited to 96 - 110 decibels at 100 feet in front of
the train. The horn opening is over 12" in diameter so 110 decibels inside
the bell is probably still very close to 110 decibels at 100 feet. With the
3 or 4 inch horn opening on those car horns 152 decibels inside the horn is
probably under 80 by the time you get to 100 feet. Possibly even legal.
Most air horns for cars that I see advertised claim 118 decibels which
would still be "louder" than a train horn. No way they are measuring at 100
feet like the rail laws require.

Yes, bored but too busy to get any substantial work done. Took me 40
minutes to write this between phone calls.

G2