[tcb] muffler gaps??

  • From: Gerald Livingston <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:09:59 -0600

I think this is the first VW I've owned with a stock muffler.

Pics of quick fitting install here:

http://65.170.133.65/photos/thumbnails.php?search=new+muffler&album=search&title=on&caption=on&keywords=on&type=AND

1. What's supposed to close the gap between the muffler "heat elbow" and
the heater box opening? I've never had a muffler with the "elbows".
Always had paper/foil tubing all the way from the shroud to the heater
boxes.

2. What might cause the fairly severe offset between the left and right
j-tube slip fits? Right side is tight up against the heater box. Left
side is 2" or 3" out. Do I need to wrap a strap around the mustache bar
and try to pull that side in before I install the half-circle clamps?

G2