[tcb] Re: monument show

  • From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:02:04 -0500

Dennis:
Yeah, I took out the set screws.  They seem to want to begin to slide out,
about 18" worth and then they appear to be binding in the middle.  Maybe
spreading out and binding on the center where the beam narrows down to hold
the bars at the set screw location.  I had tried to just grab them and pull
them out.  No luck.  Then tried tapping them from one end with a hammer and
a hard wood dowel.  No luck.  Haven't tried it yet but I'm going to remount
the trailing arm to one side and working on it with a mallet try to pull
them out.  My normal method for pulling them out of a type I is just leave
one trailing arm on and pulling them out.  Have never had a problem on the
Type I coming right out.   May have to give up and resort to heat or simply
cutting up the beam to get them out.  I don't really need the beam, though
I don't like to destroy VW parts unnecessarily.  I just need the torsion
springs to install in my panel van.  Some idiot lowered it in the front by
pulling leaves out of the torsion springs and I'm trying to get it back to
stock.  My big worry now is:  If these things are that hard to get out of a
beam, what are they like to install in a beam.  They are a little tricky
getting them into a type I beam, and now I'm really concerned about how
hard they are going to be to put into the Type II.

Did check the mapquest routes for mileage and it is 50 miles further from
Nac to Springdale than to Mountain View then 150 miles from Springdale to
the Mountain View, total of 200 miles.  That makes it almost 600 miles to
Mountain View by that route.  Just too much for the available time and
driving a VW though I do appreciate the offer and I dearly love northwest
AR.  Though between the Corps of Engineers and their lake work, Don Tyson
and Sam Walton, they have just about ruined it with development.  It was
much nicer 40 years ago.  Progress just doesn't work sometimes in some
places.  Maybe I'm just getting old, but Fayetteville and Springdale were
much nicer in the 50's and 60's and you could even go down to the local VW
dealer in the 60's in Fayetteville and buy a new VW.
Sammie