[tcb] Re: mike everet

  • From: "Denis" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 12:20:26 -0500

I removed cleaned and replace the torsion bars inside the beam, Andrew put my
wheels on his mill and cut off about a 1/2" inside at the lugs, and I raised my
springplates just a little. I am running 185/60 15 tires. No rub no mo.
              From: i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx
              To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
              Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:07:37 -0500

              from all my readings it's looking more and more like fred will be
getting 205/75r15's

              i was going to do 215/75r15 but i really plan on going offroad
with this thing and the thought of the tires getting into those perfect rear
fender lips just kills me a bit inside.

              after discussing with mike through email it was all coil overs,
he says it rides good, but again, after much reading i don't think i'd want to
go that route

              205/75r14's are about 2" bigger than stock, that's what hershey
now has on him thanks to his new owner, and it looks bad ass. so that's what i
shall do to fred.

              sucks, i wanted to raise him, but there's no good way of doing it
without getting alot of positive camber out back, which woudl make it a bit
squirelly on the highways.

              Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:00:07 -0500
              From: evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx
              To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

              The tires were a lot of it but the spring plates were cranked up
quite a bit too.

              Too bad you  couldn't do an easy body lift on a bus like you can
on a bug to get more tire clearance.

              -- Sent from my Palm Pre

              Eric Woodall wrote:

              ..and Mike's bus isn't that much taller than stock.
              Maybe about 2 inches, which was gained by tires.

              w.wood wrote:
                really?  Wow, I guess all those years of fixing up cut wheel
wells didn't teach me much about redux boxes then.     I don't know much about
yours and it could have been modified.  If you have 46mm axle nuts and you're
planning to run big tires I'd suggest getting a set from a 55-63 bus which have
lower gearing for the taller tires you sound like you'll need.  You could
always cut the fender wells out and go 60's retro with fiberglass fender
flares.  That and a set of air scoops would look totally mod for the new
millennium.. ;-)

                Also since presumably yours is a 58 you should read the crazy
8's thread on thesamba before you make mods.  You may have something rare
there.   I realize under the rust you may be expecting Doubloons but I'd bet
just rot..

                Then again you could always get a Ford  chassis and put your
bus on top of that.  Wait, that's been done

                http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358633&start=0

                But at least you could get parts at the local ArkaCan
O'Reilly's or Canada Tire and keep it running.

                The point I'm trying to make here Brian is that if you're going
to modify a 51 year old bus you should think about the end game and the
serviceability.  If it's going to be something for fun then you want
contemporary components that are relatively easy to get.  I'll also get a
*gasp* from that from a few folks on here on that statement but if you've
priced stock 1600 parts lately, the ones that aren't made in Taiwan, then
you'll know what I mean. Redux gear parts aren't exactly being made by the
bucket full anymore, neither are stub axles for RGBs either.   If you want real
fun, try buying Barndoor parts sometime..   So if you're committed to modify,
go big or go home.  Don't try to modify 50 year old parts without expecting the
requisite problems and pocket book gouge..

                To illustrate the problem, after futzing around with a Type 3
this weekend, I'm having it hauled to Doug's for some more work.. and that's
for my kid for High School..  Why?  After putting new heads on it, new tubes it
wouldn't mate back up to the transaxle.  After re-aligning the clutch 3 times
to see if I could get it to seat, I said "f* it."  But then again CB 044 heads,
dual 44 IDFs and a 1700 Kennedy may be fighting me somewhere but oh well...  It
needs some other things too, so might as well whip out the checkbook....

                fix the z-bar.. new wheel cylinders.. oh well.

                Right now I'm thinking Honda Accords look pretty damn good.
Maybe a Prius.. in Pink.. Naw, he's cadet commander in NJROTC and that'll be
against the don't ask don't drive a Prius policy.

                On Mikes bus he went with some very tall tires and wound up
denting the lower portion of his dog legs and his rear rockers.  A lot of the
height he gained was by the tires as far as I recall.

                On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Brian Denning
<i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

                  will, i know i'm new to pre 67, but i'm pretty sure they all
have redux. boxes from the factory ;)

                  including both of mine

                  Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 20:15:17 -0400
                  From: evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx
                  To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                  What???  This sounds like ArklaCan engineering here?

                  Get a set of redux boxes and tall tires, it'll go up high
enough.  THe coil overs from what I recall was in the front end.

                  On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Brian Denning
<i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

                    the only raising busses thread is the one kevin did and i'm
not gonna cut my tranny hanger to do a 2" tranny drop

                    Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:18:23 -0700
                    From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                          Brian:  I have 2 phone #s for him:  Home
214-350-5373, cell 214-837-1379.  Will not guarantee that those or good.  They
are rather old and I haven't called him in a long time.  If they do not work
you might call Jack Wenk at Black Gold Imports in Arlington and ask him either
how Mike did it or how to get in touch with Mike.  Phone # at Black Gold is
817-633-1135 I think.  I do know that Mike did not do any major suspension
modifications to his bus.  I think just coil overs and larger tires.  There is
also a thread on the samba about raising busses.
                          Sammie

                          --- On Mon, 8/3/09, Brian Denning

                            From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                            Subject: [tcb] mike everet
                            To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                            Date: Monday, August 3, 2009, 9:25 AM

                            anyone have any kind of email or samba name on this
guy??? mike hayes suggested i talk to him about how he got his bus raised using
coil overs, would like the same effect on the 58, or even better, any of you
know how i can get the bus up about an inch without to much drastic work???

                            Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it
out.

                  My Email Moniker
                  http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx

                My Email Moniker
                http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx

              Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for
Hotmail®. Try it now.

              Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you. Try Bing™
now.