[tcb] Re: mike everet

  • From: "Will" <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 11:12:59 -0500

That's not much taller than stock so you should be fine.  I run 195/65 15s on
my 23 and it's less than 3/8 different from stock.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
Brian Denning wrote:

from all my readings it's looking more and more like fred will be getting
205/75r15's
i was going to do 215/75r15 but i really plan on going offroad with this thing
and the thought of the tires getting into those perfect rear fender lips just
kills me a bit inside.
after discussing with mike through email it was all coil overs, he says it
rides good, but again, after much reading i don't think i'd want to go that
route
205/75r14's are about 2" bigger than stock, that's what hershey now has on him
thanks to his new owner, and it looks bad ass. so that's what i shall do to
fred.
sucks, i wanted to raise him, but there's no good way of doing it without
getting alot of positive camber out back, which woudl make it a bit squirelly
on the highways.

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:00:07 -0500
From: evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: mike everet

The tires were a lot of it but the spring plates were cranked up quite a bit
too.

Too bad you  couldn't do an easy body lift on a bus like you can on a bug to
get more tire clearance.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
Eric Woodall wrote:

.and Mike's bus isn't that much taller than stock.

Maybe about 2 inches, which was gained by tires.

w.wood wrote:
really?  Wow, I guess all those years of fixing up cut
wheel wells didn't teach me much about redux boxes then.     I don't
know much about yours and it could have been modified.  If you have
46mm axle nuts and you're planning to run big tires I'd suggest getting
a set from a 55-63 bus which have lower gearing for the taller tires
you sound like you'll need.  You could always cut the fender wells out
and go 60's retro with fiberglass fender flares.  That and a set of air
scoops would look totally mod for the new millennium.. ;-)

Also since presumably yours is a 58 you should read the crazy 8's
thread on thesamba before you make mods.  You may have something rare
there.   I realize under the rust you may be expecting Doubloons but
I'd bet just rot..

Then again you could always get a Ford  chassis and put your bus on top
of that.  Wait, that's been done

  http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358633&amp;start=0

But at least you could get parts at the local ArkaCan O'Reilly's or
Canada Tire and keep it running.

The point I'm trying to make here Brian is that if you're going to
modify a 51 year old bus you should think about the end game and the
serviceability.  If it's going to be something for fun then you want
contemporary components that are relatively easy to get.  I'll also get
a *gasp* from that from a few folks on here on that statement but if
you've priced stock 1600 parts lately, the ones that aren't made in
Taiwan, then you'll know what I mean. Redux gear parts aren't exactly
being made by the bucket full anymore, neither are stub axles for RGBs
either.   If you want real fun, try buying Barndoor parts sometime..
So if you're committed to modify, go big or go home.  Don't try to
modify 50 year old parts without expecting the requisite problems and
pocket book gouge..

To illustrate the problem, after futzing around with a Type 3 this
weekend, I'm having it hauled to Doug's for some more work.. and that's
for my kid for High School..  Why?  After putting new heads on it, new
tubes it wouldn't mate back up to the transaxle.  After re-aligning the
clutch 3 times to see if I could get it to seat, I said "f* it."  But
then again CB 044 heads, dual 44 IDFs and a 1700 Kennedy may be
fighting me somewhere but oh well...  It needs some other things too,
so might as well whip out the checkbook....

fix the z-bar.. new wheel cylinders.. oh well.

Right now I'm thinking Honda Accords look pretty damn good.   Maybe a
Prius.. in Pink.. Naw, he's cadet commander in NJROTC and that'll be
against the don't ask don't drive a Prius policy.

On Mikes bus he went with some very tall tires and wound up denting the
lower portion of his dog legs and his rear rockers.  A lot of the
height he gained was by the tires as far as I recall.

  On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Brian
Denning &lt;i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

    will, i know i'm new to pre 67, but i'm pretty sure they all
have redux. boxes from the factory ;)

including both of mine

Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 20:15:17 -0400

From: evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

What???  This sounds like ArklaCan engineering here?

Get a set of redux boxes and tall tires, it'll go up high enough.  THe
coil overs from what I recall was in the front end.

    On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Brian Denning
&lt;i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

      the only raising busses thread is the one kevin did and i'm
not gonna cut my tranny hanger to do a 2" tranny drop

Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:18:23 -0700

From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

            Brian:  I have 2 phone #s for him:  Home 214-350-5373,
cell 214-837-1379.  Will not guarantee that those or good.  They are
rather old and I haven't called him in a long time.  If they do not
work you might call Jack Wenk at Black Gold Imports in Arlington and
ask him either how Mike did it or how to get in touch with Mike.  Phone
# at Black Gold is 817-633-1135 I think.  I do know that Mike did not
do any major suspension modifications to his bus.  I think just coil
overs and larger tires.  There is also a thread on the samba about
raising busses.
            Sammie

--- On Mon, 8/3/09, Brian Denning &lt;i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Brian Denning &lt;i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [tcb] mike everet

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Monday, August 3, 2009, 9:25 AM

              anyone have any kind of email or samba name on this
guy??? mike hayes suggested i talk to him about how he got his bus
raised using coil overs, would like the same effect on the 58, or even
better, any of you know how i can get the bus up about an inch without
to much drastic work???

My Email Moniker

    http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx

My Email Moniker

  http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx

Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail®.  Try
it now.