[tcb] maybe, possibly, hopefully

  • From: mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:00:21 +0000 (UTC)

I think I might of finally found the problem I have been having with my
Vanagon. Tried to drive it to the Monument show on Sunday and it just wouldn't
make it. been having problems with it stuttering and losing power. didn't seem
to make a difference what the weather was like. previously it only acted up
when it was wet outside so I had assumed it was an electrical problem. It was
weird, when it acted up I could turn the key off and then turn it back on to
reset the ECU and the problem went away for a couple of miles or so. I have
been chasing electrical gremlins for about the past year. Thought I had it
narrowed down to fuel pressure problems. put the guage on it last night and the
fuel pressure was exactly where it was suppose to be. I had cleaned all the
electrical connections on the engine earlier in the week so I was beginning to
give up and was debateing Carbs or Mega squirt. Hmmm. then I thought to check
the vacuum lines one more time. They all looked fine. then finally I noticed
it!!!!!!!!!!! The rubber elbow that runs between the Air flow meter and the
throttle body. It was all connected so it seemed. after closer inspection, I
noticed the elbow was not on the throttle body as far as it could be. loosened
the clamps and tried to slide it on further. won't go. So, I removed the air
cleaner from its mounting on the body and slid everything over to where the
elbow was on the throttle body all the way. Fired it up and it sounded better.
Time for a test drive.  Was able to hit 70 mph within a half of a mile. Woo
Hoo, no more miss.

So to all the Vanagon owners out there. check your elbows!!!