[tcb] Re: mark

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 06:28:07 -0700 (PDT)

If your running a mechanical fuel pump, there is no way the drive will lift
high enough to turn. I haven't used that distributor in a loooong time, It
might have had the drive cog on the bottom of the distributor shaft turned
around as a quick fix to a drive being put in wrong. Get your bentley manual
out and double check. If I'm remembering right, with the rotor pointing to the
slot in the housing, the fat part of the drive should be towards the fan
housing. Let me know what you find.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  i have no earthly idea. i
got into a bit of a hurry due to the excitement
and didn't set the thing at TDC before even starting...that was the first
mistake. so i pulled out the, not mine, distributor and switched out
condensor and points because the ones i had were brand spakin' new. then i
went to put it in and it wouldn't go all the way in. but the distributor was
in the drive gear because i could feel the rotar hitting the gear. so i
popped open the valve cover and set TDC and then put the distributor in and
still wouldn't go with the distributor set at TDC and the motor set there as
well. so i finally turned the damn thing 180 and it went in with no troubles
so i figured well maybe i just thought it was at TDC and it is really on
number 3. so i buttoned everything up not changing the plug wires around and
went to start it and heard a poof noise that well sounded like it blowing
through the carb. so i had my wife get in and try to start it and sure
enough the flame that shot out just about hit the top of the engine
compartment. so i switched my wires around and told her to start it and it
started right up. so now i am 180 out. the only thing i can think is that
the drive gear pulled out a bit when pulling the distributor and when i set
TDC the gear didn't move much because it was on #3 and when it got to TDC,
or close to it, the gear slipped back into place. I don't know how it
happened but i know next time to set it at TDC before i start.

but the good side of things is no one can wrench on the bus unless they know