[tcb] Re: installing new bed strips

  • From: JKi7886155@xxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:56:56 EST

I sprayed a 61 Westy roof, in Lacquer, back in the 70's. As I remember, I
used a step ladder and moved it a bunch of times. 'Course I was a little bit
more limber back then. "Probably put on about three (3) coats with my trusty
Binks #7 and a Sears compressor.

Jack

In a message dated 3/1/06 9:19:15 P.M. Central Standard Time,
slsmith@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hey  Paul, I'm currently working like crazy trying to finish the 60 DD panel
van in time for Fredricksburg and I have flashbacks to every problem I've
ever seen on a Type II about 20 times a day.  You can't believe the
problems I have encountered.
Thought this was going to be an easy job  when I started.  But every time I
start one thing it leads to about 4  more problems.  Which brings up another
question:  any of you  guys out there who have ever painted a Type II; got
any good suggestions  on how to paint the entire top?  I've done a single
cab (easy-you  just stand in the bed and lean over the top) and I've done a
pop top Westy  (easy-you just stand on a step stool or something similar to
do the front  and back and you stand up through the roof-the pop top is
off-and shoot  the rest of the top.  But, looking at all of that metal up
there at  once with no breaks and no seams and getting up high enough with
enough  reach to thoroughly reach all of the top is providing mental
anguish.  Have thought of building a scaffold around the entire truck  and
some other dumb ideas, like parking it next to the house and walking  up and
down the edge of the roof while shooting the paint on the roof of  the
truck.  Anyone out there with any experience (Ronnie?),  suggestions are
welcome.  Heck, I'd even take suggestions from  Denis.  Also thought going
to my local friendly body shop guy and ask  him how in the hell he repaints
the top of a suburban, however he does  that sure ought to work on the panel
van.