[tcb] Re: hershey in da house...

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 22:12:15 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

Dig deep and get the machining done for a set of *88* mm pistons (1679cc
motor).

Or dig DEEPER and call Ronnie in Lake Havasu, AZ (http://type2parts.com)
and ask him how much he charges to build one of his 1835cc bus pushers.
With one of his motors you could just about drive up the side of an office
building for private rooftop parking.

Regarding the slip in 87 vs. the cut in 88:

From aircooled.net:
http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/t1hpeng.htm

77mm, 83mm, 85.5 mm: Stock VW engines (aircooled type 1 1300/1500/1600 cc)
came stock with these piston sizes, respectively. Slip in piston and
cylinder sets are available in 'size upgrade' of 87mm and 88mm, but we do
NOT recommend them EVER, PERIOD. There are NO special cases or exceptions
to this recommendation. Aircooled.Net doesn't sell or support applications
that use the 'size upgrade' slip in sets on 1300/1500/1600 cc engines. When
slip ins are made, the cylinder walls are thinned so that the larger piston
will fit. The cylinder walls become too thin to maintain their integrity as
the engine gets hot, and the piston, cylinder, and piston ring seal breaks
down. Overheating and loss of power are the result.

88mm: The next bore size up from stock is the machine in 88mm set. These
work VERY well, but you are looking at a lot of machining (this costs
approx. $100) for a very small displacement increase! If you're going to go
to that work or expense, you should opt for the larger piston set!

*However, 88s are very good for busses and type 3 engines, since these
engines run hotter than beetles, ghias, or buggies/rails.*

G2