[tcb] Re: gas cap

  • From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 12:01:07 -0500

is the tank vented somewhere else? because if you fill those vent holes you are
gonna end up with problems... you said it yourself.

Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 19:29:29 -0700From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
[tcb] gas capTo: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I got the Empi over sized gas tank installed in the Baja.  Has one problem
which has to be solved.   If you have never seen one of these tanks, it is made
oversize by simply making it taller.  When it is made taller the filler neck
winds up being only about an inch and a half long.  Filler neck, for some dumb
reason, is made to accept gas cap for splittie Type II.  That would be ok
except with a full tank the gas is only about 1 1/2 inches from the cap and the
splittie Type II gas cap is a vented cap.  Result, gas sloshes out the cap like
crazy.  Solution; I need a gas cap for this thing with the splittie type II
fitting that is NOT vented.

The correct solution would have been for them to put on a standard 61-67 Type I
filler neck, which they didn't do.  These caps are not vented.  So now what do
I do?  I think I can fill the vent holes in the Type II cap with JB weld or
something similar, but an easier solution would be to find a non-vented cap
with the same fitting.  How about a Bay cap?  Are they vented?

For the uninitiated; VW did away with the vented cap and installed a vent tube
in the Type I in I think 61.  Reason was to get the gas fumes out of the trunk
and prevent them from getting into the car.  Type II does not have this problem
and the splittie tanks have no vent tube and the cap is vented.  There must be
a vent somewhere, otherwise the fuel pump will create a vacuum in the tank and
either quit working or collapse the gas tank.

Moday I am calling Empi since it is their tank; but in the meantime, anyone got
any ideas?
Make every e-mail and IM count. Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft.