[tcb] Re: dropping the back

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:43:50 -0800 (PST)

Brian:  I've played with these things many times for both lowering and raising.
 When I did my panel van it had been lowered by rotating the outer spline
apparently 1 notch.  I raised it back up to stock height by moving it one
spline and it brought it up about 3".  My Baja is raised 1 outer spline and you
know how high it is.  Used to decamber the rear of bugs for handling, not
looks, and would usually just go down 1 outer spline which would lower them
about 2" and make the rear axles just about perfectly horizontal.  Note that
most of my experience on raising and lowering has been with swing axles except
for the baja which is IRS.  Have never done it on a bay window bus.  The only
way you are going to know for sure is to put the engine in it and roll the bus
around and see how low you have it.  If too much or too little you will have to
crawl under there and readjust.  It ain't fun to do one of these.  Sometimes
it's easy (it took me about an hour per side to do the panel
 van) and sometimes it's hard (it took 3 days of gut wrenching work to do the
baja.  Friend of mine had a local shop do a KG and they charged him something
like $450.  I tried to get the guys at Oakhill Auto to quote me a figure on
what they would charge to do one and they wouldn't quote a figure.  Said it
varied so much on what they ran into that they would only do it for shop rate
for however long it took.

      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    40 outers 44 inners...and then it
gives degrees of drop but no where does it give inches on outers or inners, it
says all this garbldy goop about 8 degrees and 30 min. and 10 degrees and 8
min. or some nonsense like that but never does it say it in inches or meters or
anything.

---------------------------------
  Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:20:09 -0800
From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: dropping the back
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would have to go look in the book to see how much different there is between
inner and outer.  They are different, but not that much and 3 splines is a lot.
 You are not going to be able to tell till you get the engine in and roll the
bus till the suspension settles.
Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:       .ExternalClass
.EC_hmmessage P  {padding:0px;}  .ExternalClass EC_body.hmmessage
{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}    it was 3 inners though...i have to
match the front which, now the top is about chin high on me.

---------------------------------
  Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:13:47 -0800
From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

That should lower the bus a BUNCH!  Maybe too much if you really went down 3
splines.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:       .ExternalClass
.EC_hmmessage P  {padding:0px;}  .ExternalClass EC_body.hmmessage
{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}    i got the left side done yesterday on
the bus...i have a question though, the outersplines were all gobbled up and i
couldn't get them to align so i marked and measured the torsion bar and i
pulled it out got the spring plate on and then i put the torsion bar back on
turning the inner splines 3 clicks instead of the outers two...how much should
that lower the bus? it only went down an inch and a half but i don't have a
motor in it and it hasn't rolled back and forth or anything allowing the
suspension to "settle" as chad says. how much more do you think it will drop
after it settles? it looks awesome and would be even more awesome if it would
come down like an inch or so (which it should with the motor in it.

how much will settling allow it to come down?

i'm doing the right tonight and hopefully stabbing the motor this weekend

it's almost ready for the road again, just have to measure and get some smaller
than stock shocks for the front

  Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get your
"fix". Check it out.