[tcb] Re: distributors

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:50:12 -0800 (PST)

Well, the old school hot rodders used both the 019 and the 010 for performance
increases before the 009 was available.  You went to a VW salvage yard,
scrounged an 010 from an old bus and installed it for the advantageous advance
curve.  Some people still say the 010 and 019 are better than the 009 for the
advance curve, though both are similar.  The 010 and 019 are much better
constructed than the 009, particulary the Brazilian 009.  Parts availability on
the 010 and 019 are a problem though in that the caps, rotors, condensors and
points are supposedly no longer available.

  My opinion, the best distributor for the money on the later VW engines with
the 34 carb is still one of the centrifugal advance distributors.  However, it
is tough to get rid of the flat spot you have from the advance curve being
ahead of the carbs ability to supply fuel, or maybe it's the other way around.
Daniel Watts at Oakhill Auto in Longview cures this problem by modifying the
advance on the 009 and it works great.  I don't know exactly how he does it,
but essentially he decreases the total advance on the 009 and then times the
initial advance must faster, but with the limited total advance of the
distriburtor the total advance at speed is the same.  It works fine.  But a
stock 009 with a PIC 34 timed to give total advance of 28-30 degrees will not
work.  You get a tremdous almost stalling flat spot on initial acceleration.

  As to your bus with the 34, one of Daniel's modified 009s would work fine and
probably a lot better than the stock vacuum advance distributor.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    Will says they look good on a
nostalgic performer??? do they perform good? i looked at an old big vacuum
advance one at a show but i was told that the vacuum curve is alot smaller than
the late model ones that go with the pict 34...is this true? what makes 'em so
special then? i'm way to late model to be sporting one of those on my bus but
still, curious minds want to know.

---------------------------------
  Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:11:17 -0800
From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: distributors
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whew!  One non-controversial post on distributors and I start an argument!

Eric Woodall <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:   I have a 010 (bought from Glenn) on
my '66 and it is a really great
distributer.
I feel like he did a good job on it also.

sammie smith said:
> I have an 010 on the 1960 panel bus and it works great but is probably a
> debatable issue as to whether it is totally correct for that engine or
> not. I may take one of them, either an 010 or 019 and try on the baja, at
> least just for experimentation on the advance curve.
>
> None of these distributors appear to have any noticeable wear but I plan
> to tear them all down and at least get them in good operating condition.
>
> And Will, I don't have any personal experience with the guy you are
> talking about (think his name is Glenn) but he supposedly pays $60 for a
> core 010. If you got that many maybe you ought to sell out and retire.
>
> Final note: he and some others swear that an 010 or an 019 is a much
> better distributor than the 009.
>

> Will Wood wrote:
> I am into old distributors but only for vintage look...
>
> The problem with the 010s and the 019s is most of them are rusty or are
> worn out. What ever you do, don't send them to that idiot on theSamba
> for "restoration." You can do a better job with a can of Krylon.
>
> Anyway, I have about 30-40 of them about 10 are rebuilt and that will
> probably last me a lifetime.
>
> If you have an early 36HP bus, they're the way to go or if you want a
> vintage performance look they're cool.
>

> On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 16:06 -0800, sammie smith wrote:
>> Is there anyone on the list who is into old distributors? Will? I
>> managed to acquire some 010's and 019's and have managed to scrounge
>> some NOS caps, rotors, points and condensors for them. Two of the
>> 019's are the ones that came in screamer kits. My intent is to clean
>> them up, make sure they work properly, keep a couple of them for
>> myself and dispose of the rest. Anyone interested or just have any
>> input on these guys are welcome to comment. Yeah I know there is tons
>> of data on them on the Samba and I also know what they are worth.

  Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook ? together at last. Get it
now!