[tcb] Re: dent solutions

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 00:36:11 -0500

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:13:13 -0500 Brian Denning
<i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> how can i bring most of this out:

What dent? <grin>

Get your camera back out.

Remove the slider guard (it's removeable on both driver
and passenger sides)

Step back 5 paces.

Take a few more pictures.

Rotate all pictures so they are "right side up".

I can see the rust spots where the window seal is gone but I really can't
see the dent.

Sammie is right though. I watched a guy use the weld-n-yank method
to pull 1.5" deep 6" round dent out of a '71 Mustang (somebody with a
utility pole in their truck backed into it HARD back in the fastback slope
area where it's hard to work it from the inside).

He found the "middle" then pulled it out higher than you think it should go
then worked out from there toward the edges.

When he was done pulling the outer edges were just a touch higher than
the surrounding metal and the center was probably between 1/16" and
1/8" higher than the outer edges. He then used a little torh heat and his
hammers and dollies to pound it back down almost completely smooth.

But, if it's a patch that was welded in badly your best bet might actually be
to cut it back out right on the welds that the PO did badly. Then you can
see whats bent inside and maybe get it a bit more straight before putting
the patch panel back on better.

And, finally, with a dent that high up you may want to see if you can find a
frame
shop in town to check and see if the bus is "tweaked" from being rolled over.

If it has then you will know where to start looking if you start having problems
like tires wearing unevenly even after you have it aligned.

Gerald