[tcb] Re: bay window bumpers

  • From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 08:55:16 -0500

andy, on ratwell (i think), it talks about heating the copper gaskets up with a blow torch, it makes the copper softer so it will seat better on the not so flat flange, he says to heat it up so when after the process is done and you drop it it doesn't have that metal ping noise it used to have. trust me it works too.

From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: bay window bumpers
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 06:52:49 -0700 (PDT)

Andrew is running a type 4 engine with the copper donut gaskets that attach to the bottom of the head. I have never had good luck getting these to seal properly.

sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Drew: Which exhaust flange? Denis was having problems with the header flange (one that bolts directly to the exhaust port). I talked to the Watts (oakhill auto) about the problem and never got back to Denis. But Daniel said they sometimes have problems because of a not exactly true flat flange on the exhaust system (after market crud) and to make sure the flange was exactly perfectly flat. Also, he said that he sometimes puts a bit of backward twist in the flange where the studs go through to make sure it will pull up tight and not seat before the header flange does. Also, always use the metal/asbestos sandwich gasket. I use copper exhaust nuts and always put permatex anti seize on the studs so they will come off the next time. Beyond that there is not much you can do.
Andrew Barnes deabarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxx  wrote:   Brianl
If you would come to some of the shows and campouts you would know that I
have front and rear bumpers had them painted the same time I put the new
canvas in!!! (Giving Brian Shit content)
(Bus content) Has any of the people on the list had to deal with warped or
bent exhaust flanges ? In your experience what is the best remedy? Resurface
the flange or a copper doughnut (machined)to fix the problem.
Drew