[tcb] Re: bad news about hershey

  • From: Marie Metcalf <vwmarie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:33:15 -0600

I have had 2 fires in vw's. no they're not fun. one in a 63 bug on a mountain
road no place to get off stopped next to guardrail. got the kids out and safely
placed and beat the fire out with a pillow. the next one was a 65 double cab in
the yard.  Picked up a wok and used the sand from the kids sandbox to put it
out. 2 saves.  NEW fuel lines are CHEEP. don't forget to check  them too. >
From: i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [tcb] Re: bad
news about hershey> Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:22:15 -0500> > > i read somewhere
on the samba where a guy said to tap it and thread in a bras fitting so that is
what i am going to do but to insure that this will never happen again it will
get a heavy coat of locktite and a heavy coat of jb weld and then when that all
dries i plan on soldering around the fitting to insure it is attached to the
carb...this was a very scary experience and like chuck said it really get's
your heart to pumping...i never want to experience this again....alll you guys
need to check that fitting on the carb with every vavle adjust and oil
change...hell check it everytime you put gas in the bus.> >
________________________________ > > Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 06:15:51 -0700 > >
From: atx_bus@xxxxxxxxx > > Subject: [tcb] Re: bad news about hershey > > To:
tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > > > > Brian, > > Nice job saving your bus. Have you decided
how to repair the carb?> The same thing derailed my attempt to make it to
Psychoblooie in a bus. I was thanking my lucky stars that there was no fire.
Having an extinguisher is a must.> Jeff> > > ----- Original Message ---- > >
From: Brian Denning > > To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > > Sent: Wednesday, October 10,
2007 6:44:23 AM > > Subject: [tcb] Re: bad news about hershey > > > the brass
nipple that goes intothe carb broke out and since i was coasting the bus in
gear gas was spraying everywhere...gas landed on the fuel filter causing it to
catch fire too so then gas was spraying before the pump and after the
pump...retap teh carb fix the wiring and i'll be back on the road in a week.>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:27:16 -0700> From: james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx> Subject:
[tcb] Re: bad news about hershey> To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Ouch, that really
sucks! Any idea what caused it yet?> James> Brian Denning wrote:> so i was
trucking along on the interstate going to the local pick and pull to get some
parts for diana's car. bus was running great, next thing i know it started
missing a bit. so i moved over to the slow lane, i started to smell gas so i
slowly start moving over to the shoulder and next thing i know the bus dies...i
jerk it over onto the shoulder (coasting in 4th) look in my rearview mirror and
see nothing but blue smoke...blue smoke then turns to black so i grab the fire
extinguisher and i run to the back bus is boiling smoke. i go to open the deck
lid...deck lid is stuck so i shoot fire extinguisher stuff down the fresh air
vent on the side of the bus run to the other side get in the currently burning
bus and dig out a screwdriver pry open the decklid still can't get it open so i
pry up the corner of the lid and shoot inside the corner...finally i get the
lid open the compartment is still on fire in some spots, mainly wiring so i
shoot the remaining stuff in there and get it out...now i call 911...tell them
i am on fire...then i notice gas is spewing everywhere so i pinch the line to
hold it and sit there for like 10 minutes, finally i call 911 back and tell
them gas is spraying everywhere but i got the fire out. the 911 lady tells me i
need to calm down...i told her my shit was just on fire and now gas is spraying
everywhere unless i pinch the line which is hot. she put me on hold then said
they're on there way...i told her to tell them to take there time cause it's
out...finally the fire truck shows up and we get the line stopped and i get the
bus home.> here are the pics:>
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n256/i_am_cool_fred/?action=view¤t=P1010007.jpg>

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n256/i_am_cool_fred/?action=view¤t=P1010015-1.jpg>
 and i have to give this guy some credit cause he just saved hershey's life:>
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n256/i_am_cool_fred/?action=view¤t=P1010019.jpg>
 From: i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [tcb] bad
news about hershey> Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:40:38 -0500> i will post pics and
give a f ull story later on tonight but it's bad> Help yourself to FREE treats
served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by today!> Boo! Scare away worms,
viruses and so much more! Try Windows Live OneCare! Try now!>
________________________________> Tonight's top picks. What will you watch
tonight? Preview the hottest shows on Yahoo! TV.> Help yourself to FREE treats
served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by today!>
________________________________> Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing
places on Yahoo! Travel.> >
Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last.  Get it now.>