[tcb] Re: auto transmission

  • From: wuzmop@xxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 17:03:59 -0500

 THey are good, they're the same as a T3 auto.

A vacuum signal from the intake tells it when to shift, an electric kickdown
switch tells it when to downshift for acceleration.

They were made by Borg Warner, and some of the more recent new VW auto's share
some common parts, so rebuild kits are available.

The weaknesses are:

The seal between the final drive and differential are good for about 80k miles,
but it is easy to change with the tranny out.

You have to tow it with the rear wheels off the ground, stay below 35 mph, or
remove the axles.

If your engine runs like crap, you will shift accordingly. The engine tune has
to be kept up with in order to achieve the desired vacuum signal.

I haven't seen a case where carbs work very well with one, but people have done
it successfully. To make carbs work even close to as good as EFI, you'll have
to use a vacuum guage to adjust it properly, or get lucky and hope your signal
is sufficient.I run mine OG Djet and it's great.

It's every bit as powerful as a stick T3, although maybe slightly slower off
the line.

They can be cheap cause most are uneducated about them and are afraid of them.