[tcb] Re: air in the mc

  • From: Eric Woodall <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:34:30 -0500

And that's just one particular year model split bus...
Don't even look at pre '54 stuff.

ATX BUS wrote:
I was simply making the point that early bus part aren't always cheaper than those on a bay. Certainly not as easily found.

In my case I have an early 67 that has a 66 mc, so no need for a conversion. One of those quirky things about changing from one year to the next.

    Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:44:59 -0700
    From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Brian:  Just checked with Oak Hill Auto in Longview and they have
    a new German ATE for $145.  There phone # is 903-297-3496 if you
    want to give them a call.  They can UPS it to you, but by the time
    you paid shipping the one at Rogers would probably be cheaper.

    */Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

        every FLAPS store go to says they can't get one for my bus. A
        new one cost $200 at bus-boyscom <http://bus-boys.com> and
        about 150 at roy rogers. guess i'll be going to roy rogers in
        the next month to get a new one.

            From: sukchew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:04:37 -0500

            You don't have any time.Fix your brakes NOW! If you don't
            the fire will have been minor.If you don't have brake
            assist the mc should be around 40 bucks at your FLAPS.I
            just bought one for a bug for 30 bucks.

                    Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:46:08 -0700
                    From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    <mailto:bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It sounds to me like you have a leak in the MC. Fluid going past the piston (which it is not
                    supposed to do) which means a new master cylinder.

                    */Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

                        ok, the mastercylinder has 3 lines coming out
                        of it one that goes to the rear one for the
                        left front and one for the right front. at the
                        mastercylinder i bled all air out of
                        it...there was lots in the line that went to
                        the rear of the bus and some that went to the
                        driverside front. so i bled all the air out at
                        the MC then i went to the right rear. by i, i
                        mean a friend of mine. we did the ol' tube in
                        a bottle of fluid trick. got some small
                        bubbles out of the right rear, next we went to
                        the left rear, man oh man there were some
                        bubbles after we pumped it two or three times.
                        then we went to the right front, it took
                        forever to get to fluid (keep in mind i have
                        already bled everything 4 times before this
                        point) then we went to the driverside front.
                        got air.
pedal then worked but not impressive. so we
                        decided to pressure bleed the system at this
                        point pump, pump pump HOLD!!! right rear spit
                        out air twice then solid fluid shot out like a
                        water cannon. pump pump pump HOLD!!! left rear
                        did the same. moved to the right front it took
                        5 tries to get the final air out of it. then
                        we moved to the right side. fluid came out
                        like an old man trying to pee, slow and it
                        dribbled for a bit.  we did that for a bit and
                        then all of the sudden the fluid shot out so
                        strong it hit the  other side. tightened it up
the brakes are great, they don't give way but
                        there is still a slight problem, if i come on
                        strong at first they work great. i even tested
                        them and managed to get all four wheels to
                        lock up, if i eas on them the pedal goes down
                        about half way till it works, and if i just
                        gently push it in it still goes to the floor.
what do ya'll think? mastercylinder needs
                        replaced or still some air hidden somewhere? i
                        am buying the appropriate tool from harbor
                        freight this weekend and will try it again but
                        i am leaning towards a mastercylinder. like a
                        friend once told me "rebuilds only last so long"

                        <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                        fluid into the M/C at the normal
                        > > inlet locations it helps "grab" the air
                        bubbles with the moving fluid and
                        > > pulls them out into the lines.
                        > >
                        > > Bleed the whole system in under 30 minutes
                        with no pedal pumper helping
                        > > you and complaining he whole time. ;-)
                        > >
                        > > G2
                        > >
                        > > Brian Denning wrote: