[tcb] Re: air in the mc

  • From: ATX BUS <atx_bus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:20:08 -0700 (PDT)

Original parts can certainly be pricey but I try to stay that way.  Not to be a
stock nazi at all, but rather if I have problems down the road I can read a
manual to figure things out.

I am not an engineer or a mechanic, so I figure those Germans must have known
what they are doing if these old vehicles are still on the road.  If my bus
becomes too much of my own creation I will get too far from intended
performance and functionality.  So I try to stay original.

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:44:59 -0700
From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Brian:  Just checked with Oak Hill Auto in Longview and they have a new German
ATE for $145.  There phone # is 903-297-3496 if you want to give them a call.
They can UPS it to you, but by the time you paid shipping the one at Rogers
would probably be cheaper.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P
{padding:0px;}
ExternalClass EC_body.hmmessage
{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}
 every FLAPS store go to says they can't get one for my bus. A new one cost
$200 at bus-boyscom and about 150 at roy rogers. guess i'll be going to roy
rogers in the next month to get a new one.

 From: sukchew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:04:37 -0500

ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P
{padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;}
ExternalClass EC_BODY.hmmessage
{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}
You don't have any time.Fix your brakes NOW! If you don't the fire will have
been minor.If you don't have brake assist the mc should be around 40 bucks at
your FLAPS.I just bought one for a bug for 30 bucks.
 Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:46:08 -0700
From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It sounds to me like you have a leak in the MC.  Fluid going past the piston
(which it is not supposed to do) which means a new master cylinder.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P
{padding:0px;}
ExternalClass EC_body.hmmessage
{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}
 ok, the mastercylinder has 3 lines coming out of it one that goes to the rear
one for the left front and one for the right front. at the mastercylinder i
bled all air out of it...there was lots in the line that went to the rear of
the bus and some that went to the driverside front. so i bled all the air out
at the MC then i went to the right rear. by i, i mean a friend of mine. we did
the ol' tube in a bottle of fluid trick. got some small bubbles out of the
right rear, next we went to the left rear, man oh man there were some bubbles
after we pumped it two or three times. then we went to the right front, it took
forever to get to fluid (keep in mind i have already bled everything 4 times
before this point) then we went to the driverside front. got air.

pedal then worked but not impressive. so we decided to pressure bleed the
system at this point pump, pump pump HOLD!!! right rear spit out air twice then
solid fluid shot out like a water cannon. pump pump pump HOLD!!! left rear did
the same. moved to the right front it took 5 tries to get the final air out of
it. then we moved to the right side. fluid came out like an old man trying to
pee, slow and it dribbled for a bit.  we did that for a bit and then all of the
sudden the fluid shot out so strong it hit the  other side. tightened it up

the brakes are great, they don't give way but there is still a slight problem,
if i come on strong at first they work great. i even tested them and managed to
get all four wheels to lock up, if i eas on them the pedal goes down about half
way till it works, and if i just gently push it in it still goes to the floor.

what do ya'll think? mastercylinder needs replaced or still some air hidden
somewhere? i am buying the appropriate tool from harbor freight this weekend
and will try it again but i am leaning towards a mastercylinder. like a friend
once told me "rebuilds only last so long"

> From: sukchew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [tcb] Re: air in the mc
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:49:27 -0500
>
> You also can use a hand vac pump and suck the fluid thru the system so
> pressure does not have to be applied to to the master cyl.

Be a better friend, newshound, and