[tcb] Re: air in the MC

  • From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:36:34 -0500

it's a 68-69 mastercylinder. i looked at autozone and napa both say they have
one napa is $109 for a new one and autozone is 78 for a new one. which is a bit
cheaper BUT, the last time i went through this and decided to rebuild one was
because when i ordered one (can't remember who i got it from) they gave me the
wrong one, it only had two line connections and the bolt holes didn't line up
to the bus.

i will go and talk to the vw kid at autozone tomorrow and see what he has to
say about all this and see if he can order it for him self and i pay for it.
(discount ka-ching) the good thing is i can always send it back if i go to a
FLAPS place.

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 06:31:40 -0700
From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: air in the MC
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Brian:  What year model is your bus?  Or better:  What year model master
cylinder do you have?  That sounds awfully expensive to me.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:      every FLAPS store go to
says they can't get one for my bus. A new one cost $200 at bus-boys.com and
about 150 at roy rogers. guess i'll be going to roy rogers in the next month to
get a new one.

      From: sukchew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:04:37 -0500

        You don't have any time.Fix your brakes NOW! If you don't the fire will
have been minor.If you don't have brake assist the mc should be around 40 bucks
at your FLAPS.I just bought one for a bug for 30 bucks.    ----- Original
Message -----   From: Brian Denning   To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   Sent: Tuesday,
March 11, 2008 6:35 AM  Subject: [tcb] Re: air in the mc
anybod got a good new mc they'd sell me for cheap??

apparently mine is bad

i have driven the bus like this since august...how long do i have?

      Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:46:08 -0700
From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It sounds to me like you have a leak in the MC.  Fluid going past the piston
(which it is not supposed to do) which means a new master
 cylinder.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:       ok, the mastercylinder
has 3 lines coming out of it one that goes to the rear one for the left front
and one for the right front. at the mastercylinder i bled all air out of
it...there was lots in the line that went to the rear of the bus and some that
went to the driverside front. so i bled all the air out at the MC then i went
to the right rear. by i, i mean a friend of mine. we did the ol' tube in a
bottle of fluid trick. got some small bubbles out of the right rear, next we
went to the left rear, man oh man there were some bubbles after we pumped it
two or three times. then we went to the right front, it took forever to get to
 fluid (keep in mind i have already bled everything 4 times before this point)
then we went to the driverside front. got air.

pedal then worked but not impressive. so we decided to pressure bleed the
system at this point pump, pump pump HOLD!!! right rear spit out air twice then
solid fluid shot out like a water cannon. pump pump pump HOLD!!! left rear did
the same. moved to the right front it took 5 tries to get the final air out of
it. then we moved to the right side. fluid came out like an old man trying to
pee, slow and it dribbled for a bit.  we did that for a bit and then all of the
sudden the fluid shot out so strong it hit the  other side. tightened it up

the brakes are great, they don't give way but there is still a slight problem,
if i come on strong at first they work great. i even tested them and managed to
get all four wheels to lock up, if i eas on them the pedal goes down about half
way till it works, and if i just gently
 push it in it still goes to the floor.

what do ya'll think? mastercylinder needs replaced or still some air hidden
somewhere? i am buying the appropriate tool from harbor freight this weekend
and will try it again but i am leaning towards a mastercylinder. like a friend
once told me "rebuilds only last so long"

> From: sukchew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [tcb] Re: air in the mc
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:49:27 -0500
>
> You also can use a hand vac pump and suck the fluid thru the system so
> pressure does not have to be applied to to the master cyl.

 that has a motorized vacuum bleeder and let them do it.

> >> <http://www.amazon.com/Air-Cooled-VW-Power-Bleeder/dp/B0002KM5LK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1205174704&sr=1-8>

> >> EASY!

> >> Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more.
> >> <http://biggestloser.msn.com/>
> >

> > --
> > 269.21.3/1308 - Release Date: 3/3/2008 10:01 AM

    Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star
power. Play now!

Internal Virus Database is
 out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
AM

    Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we
give. Learn more.

http://biggestloser.msn.com/