[tcb] Re: What's the magic number?

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:22:33 -0600

I have driven Homer in some serious winds. I read on the type 2 list early in my bus ownership "that it is not a crosswind it is cosmic GPS" The first trip we made on the Hankook tires I would never have tried with the passenger car tires I had before. The tires alone made a bigger improvement in the wind than all the front end work I did. You may want to find a route on the secondary roads, the trees and stuff are usually closer to the road than on the interstate. I don't think the wind could ever blow a bus over by itself. I have never seen any math. I usually run with the windows up.

On Dec 22, 2007, at 8:00 PM, julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Jeepers! It was super windy in Austin today! Too windy for me on the highways so I thought I'd stick to the access roads but even when parked it felt like Donner (my '71) was going to fly away and I didn't even feed him any magic carrots. Is there a formula to figure out when it is unsafe to drive a bus because of wind - like the mph of the maximum wind gusts times the mph in which the bus is moving over the weight of the load in the bus divided by the whatever squared? Is it safer to have the windows open sort of like turning away from a punch or will open windows invite the Bernoulli effect? In this situation they don't mention wind but I want to know how easy is it to end up like this http:// picasaweb.google.com/julie.hey.ho.lets.go/UpsideDownBus or at least laying a bus on its side due to wind? Or am I just a worry wart?

Dan Martin
1971 VW Bus
H.B.B.
T.C.B.