[tcb] What all do I need?

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:15:52 -0600

When I was driving Murray home on the last leg of the TOAL, about two hours
east of Ft. Smith, about 175 miles from home, the growling transaxle that took
two bottles of gear oil a thousand miles earlier, in Florida, finally gave up
fourth gear. No loud event, just no connection between the engine and the rear
wheels. When I push on the accelerator I just got a zizzing sound, "zizzzzz."
When I downshifted into third everything worked fine. I didn't even stop, I
just slowed to 50 MPH (3500-4000 RPM) and made the rest of my way home.

I drove on the shoulder for a way. You never really notice all the sharp metal
stuff and dead animals and broke down cars that are on the shoulder until you
drive on it for a while.

Eventually I realized that I was now doing "normal split bus speed" and got
back on the regular slow lane. People passing me still took pictures and waved
the peace sign at me. Nobody thinks anything is wrong with a Split doing 50.

So, here's the question: what all gaskets and parts do I need to put in a new
tranny? Remember that I have a Swing axle, not IRS and no reduction boxes. I
will be at Chuck's on Friday and can get to parts houses, so what all do I
need. Assume I have nothing, 'cuz I probably don't.

Oh, and I know what food to bring.