[tcb] What a weekend, and a whole new tech problem.

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 20:40:23 -0600

So, I was going to camp with some Busketier folks at Devil's Den this weekend,
so Thursday I went in and reset my springplates to the exact specs that
Wolfgang sets for their straight axle kits. I took off the wheels and leveled
the bus and set the plates at 7 degrees, dead solid perfect. We will return to
that subject later.

On Friday, I was all packed up and on the road, but as usual, as Dan will tell
you, I had to go to the store about a hundred times for food and a certain
cookstove setup that I thought was common, but that is not common at all any
more and the only reason I think it is is because I am so friggin' old (but I
digress).

I am actually on the interstate, not yet to Devil's Den, where there is NO cell
service, when I get a call from Ryan, the Busketier from up near Springfield
MO. He is on the side of the interstate about 40 miles North and the brand new
engine in his '64 bus has locked up. Remember Ronnie? His wife and their 14
year old and 6 year old are in their New Beetle with him, but his bus is dead
dead dead. I told him that they would be all right and that I had everything
they needed, that they will be fine, but it will take a long time.

I called my AAA garage, but their flatbed was out of town and it would be hours
before they could do anything. I had to drive down into Devil's Den and inform
everyone there that I would go back and take care of Ryan and Cheri and family.

On the way in and out of the steep and winding DD road my passenger tire is
rubbing like a %#!%*+. I have burning rubber smell BAD. I stopped and let air
out of the tires and it got better, but still bad.

I had to go home and get my truck, get my bus tow bar that I bought a few years
ago and found that I could not use on my lowered bus, find some bolts, washers,
and nuts to hold it to Ryan's beam, drive up to Rogers where they were, then we
had to go to Home Depot to buy the smaller ball that fit the bar (not my 2")
and then had to go back to replace the POS ball clamp mechanism that fell apart.

By the time we had the bus hooked up, dragged back to my house, ate, drank, set
the kids up with a movie in my room, put everyone comfortably in the hot tub
and camper trailer, it was 11:30. Bed.

So, today we went back to DD and saw who was still there. Saw Andrew, which is
always good. Met two more bus families and brought two other bus families
closer to us. Probably guaranteed 10 more busses for Psychoblooie.

They all left about an hour or so ago. Ryan's bus is in the shop and will stay
there for awhile until it gets home to Springfield.

I'm beat.