[tcb] Re: What VW's came with power brakes OTHER than type2?

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:17:29 -0700 (PDT)

Gerald: Are you using dual carbs or 1 carb. If you are using duals, I have seen
a cross-over pipe between the manifolds and vacuum taken from that. Late model
type 2 and type 4 are the only air cooled's that I know of that had power
brakes. --- mark

"Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:That's what I will do
eventually. I'd just like to have fully functioning
brakes this week so i can look for other "buglets".

I'm thinking the Type 4 came with boosted brakes and if that's what I have
then I may be living with only back brakes anyway until I replace the whole
thing. Brake hydraulic parts appear to be more rare than hen's teeth. I
can't even find a PICTURE of a Type 4 master cylinder to compare with the
one I have.

I'd go yank the booster and all off the '74 now but I can't be sure that
will fit right on either as '74 is the year they switched to the bigger
booster. What sucks is the fact that I'not even USING the booster right
now. I have no manifold vacuum port on the engine that Jake built. I have
to figure out where to get that from later and have someone tap me a hole
and add a nipple.

G2

--
Need a place to put all the stuff you want to say that doesn't belong in the
email lists and forums you subscribe to? Create your own blog and share