[tcb] Re: @WL Re: Laptop (New thread from the electricity bit)

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:25:35 -0700 (PDT)

Y'all are going way to High Tech for me. Just a radio and I map is all that is
needed.

"Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I looked at using a "front westy table" and thought it might be too high
while in motion. The shifter is going to be a problem trying to get it
lower. A fabricated cardboard screen shade should solve most visibility
issues. My laptop didn't have any problems staying open on the passenger
seat on my ride back alone -- I just couldn't look over and see it easily.

I think Streets and Trips does voice, I just haven't played with that yet.
I know my Delorme mapping software does but I haven't gotten it to
regognize the USB GPS yet (haven't installed it on the laptop actually and
I get no signal in my office). I'll have to see if I can talk my radio into
playing sound from two inputs at the same time. If I'm listening to the
Sirius satellite radio then I can add the computer in using a "T" connector
since the Sirius receiver connects through the AUX input -- but if I'm
listening to CD's or the radio then AUX will be cut out. I don't think the
dinky litle laptop speakers will be loud enough -- I can add a set of cheap
amplified computer speakers though. That's how I did "music in the Rivi"
before actually adding a radio. 12 Volt computer speakers and the Sirius
receiver.

The GPS is just another "toy". When the Rivi is operational I might
actually use it a bit as I plan to start taking my 4 day off weeks and
heading into the hills west of San Antonio (Medina, Bandera, and Uvalde
counties in Texas). Great "get away" camping (if you can live without A/C
). It'll be nice to have then. I don't mind being "lost" -- until I'm
on a deadline to get back home. Spent a couple of days living in the woods
on a 600 acre deer lease when I was a teen because I lost my bearings the
first day -- then decided I had a week and just wasn't all that worried
about getting back to the camp. Luckily we had radios so I could avoid
having search parties sent out when I didn't show up at nightfall ... twice
. Slept sitting in a tree (wild hog country) and ate the sandwiches I
had packed out with me -- got serious and found my way back to camp when
the food ran out. Not much edible growing in October and the little 410 I
was carrying wasn't much use for shooting deer.

Gerald