[tcb] Vw work upcoming

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:43:52 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

This is actually a test message in disguise -- want to make sure the
filter I just added moves TCB messages to the right folder. <grin>

OK,

Got the paperwork for the Riviera. Now I just need the weather to
cooperate. I have to pull the tranny and swap in one from the parts bus I
bought on Colorado a couple of years ago (after I clean it up). Then I need
to install the Raby engine.

Hopefully that will be enough to get it inspected, re-titled, and
registered.

So, what did I do with this work on my plate (and an overflowing plate at
SysMatrix building new servers)?

I'm glad you asked...

Kyle (the tall kid that was at Indian Springs with me and Dad) and I split
the $700 cost of a '70 westy. I'm taking the engine, sink, and flip table.
He's keeping the body etc.

He's going to use the engine from his '69 to get the '70 on the road since
the '70 is less (MUCH less) rusted. He'll probably use the '69 for parts as
needed to keep the '70 happy.

I have to go pick up the '70 Monday and tow it back to where his '69 is
sitting. We'll do the engine swap right then. From the looks of it that's
all that will be required to get him inspectable.

I'll take the engine from the '70 and put it on the benk in my storage
unit. As soo as I get the Rivi on the road I'll start working on getting my
'69 bug rolling again.

I still plan to set it up for use as a tow behind for camping but I want it
driveable too with fuel prices the way they are. I plan to use it as a
daily driver to/from work. When I get a breather I want to pull the engine
and design a bolt-in box for the engine bay. When I want to tow it for
camping (as storage and/or extra bed space) I'll drop the engine and axles
and bolt in the box. Reduced weight and drag -- extra space. The box will
have a top so stuff I put in it isn't exposed to the (used/greasy) engine
compartment. It won't be a lot of storage but the main idea is to close up
the hole and have something bolted over the tranny bell housing.

Anyway -- I should get back to working on the servers now. Needed a break
from working on the computers at work -- so of course i connected to my
home system to work on it (add some filters for lists).  ;-)

Gerald