[tcb] Re: Valve gasket leak

  • From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:36:22 -0600

you know, i've scared the crap out of passengers and onlookers in the bus on
several occasions. there never really has been to much body roll when going
around sharp curves...and now with teh center of gravity lowered about 6 inches
it will make for even more fun.

you ain't driving till the tires are squeelin'

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:52:44 -0800
From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: Valve gasket leak
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, that too.  Ever wonder why you saw so many busses meet their demise in
roll overs back in the day.  They are top heavy and don't handle so well.  But,
for the guy who wants to pull a lot of side load:  Back in the day I used to
run a Manx buggy in SCCA slalom events.  With the suspension and tire set up
this thing would pull about 1 g sideways before it wanted to lose traction.  In
a VW engine this type of side load causes the oil to surge to the side and away
from the oil pick up.  Solution was a windage tray in the sump that prevented
the oil from climbing the wall of the case.  Lot of formula vee guys out there
still running the old 40 horse engines and they pull a lot side load in turns.
So if Brian wants to experiment with gravity .........

Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  My
 advice would be to SLOW DOWN.

sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:   Always make sure you have
sufficient oil in the crankcase and the next time you have the case apart you
can put a windage tray in there to prevent oil surging to the side in hard
cornering.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:       if you went around a
curve real fast lots of oil would accumulate in there...heck, one day i went
around a 30mph curve doin' about 45 and my oil light came on for a bit.

      From: treyjung@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: TCB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Valve
 gasket leak
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:44:10 +0000

  Never knew how much a valve gasket can leak.     Had a really bad leak under
my 71 and figured the worst, so I stopped driving New Dee for 2 months. I
started it this weekend and ran it (after I added about a half quart) and then
it started leaking bad. Pulled the valve cover off (the right side) and notice
that the gasket wasn't sealing at all on the bottom. replaced it and ran the
bus for about 20 miles and it's not leaking now.....      I was under the
impression that there wasn't much oil in there (under the valve cover) and that
you could start an engine with the valve covers offs and not much oil would
accumlate in there. Am I correct?      If that's the case, then oil is in
getting in there from somewhere (e.g. the push rods seals? ) which might need
more attention. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't masking a
 problem with a new gasket.      Trey
    Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live. Start sharing!

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference.