[tcb] Valve gasket leak

  • From: treyjung@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TCB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:44:10 +0000

Never knew how much a valve gasket can leak.

Had a really bad leak under my 71 and figured the worst, so I stopped driving
New Dee for 2 months. I started it this weekend and ran it (after I added about
a half quart) and then it started leaking bad. Pulled the valve cover off (the
right side) and notice that the gasket wasn't sealing at all on the bottom.
replaced it and ran the bus for about 20 miles and it's not leaking now.....

I was under the impression that there wasn't much oil in there (under the valve
cover) and that you could start an engine with the valve covers offs and not
much oil would accumlate in there. Am I correct?

If that's the case, then oil is in getting in there from somewhere (e.g. the
push rods seals? ) which might need more attention. Just wanted to make sure I
wasn't masking a problem with a new gasket.

Trey