[tcb] Type IV oil leak

  • From: Bill <bbauer2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:38:11 -0500

Ok all you Type IV motor guys and gals I have a question.  My 78 2.0
appeared to be leaking from the push rod tube seals on both sides of the
motor.  I changed them all out and it fixed the leak/s on the passenger side
of the motor but not the drivers side.  It appears that it is leaking near
the drivers side rear push rod tub seal but that location is very close to
the oil cooler.  I am going to buy two new push rod tubes and seals to see
if I mucked up one of them while re-assembling. I also checked to make sure
my oil sender was tight and not leaking.

It only leaks when the motor is running at the pace of about 1 drip every
5-10 seconds. I just can't see the source.

Could it be an oil cooler seal/O-ring?  Does this motor even have those?
Could the oil filter be on too tight? Any thoughts or suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.  I am trying very hard to get "Zippo" my 78 Sage Green
Westy to Transporters.

Thanks
-Bill