[tcb] Re: Type 2 - 1967 & Earlier - Stock or Type 2 - 1967 & Earlier -Custom

  • From: wuzmop@xxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:21:42 -0400

Although my tranny is supposedly stock, I think either A) it had a highway gear
in it already before I had it rebuilt, or B)  the builder put one in there
unbeknownst to me (We had a warranty situation and he made very good on it, so
maybe....) Either way, it cooks.

 From: wuzmop@xxxxxxx
 Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 06:51:34 -0500
 To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Custom

> I have to agree here. I've toyed with the idea of a sp 1776 for my bus, but I
ant to retain my redux boxes, and I've shyed away from it for the reasons Sammy
isted. I can already do 75 on a good day, cruise at 65-70 easily with my 1600
p.

> I'd be curious about you guys' opinions on how a 1776 sp would compare to
hat I have now. The only reason I would even entertain the idea is I want sp
or appearance, but don't want to loose the mph I have now. Better yet, what
ould you build (on a budget) to suit my needs?

 Custom

> No, I don't like 1776 and 1835s.  The secret of power for most VW driving is
ore torque, which you get by stroking for more CCs, not increasing the bore.
yle Cherry used to build a great stroker 1800cc and the guys at Oakhill Auto
ave figured out a way to build a super reliable 2007cc.  And to keep it stock
ooking you gotta go with single port heads and stock carbs and exhaust, then
ou are sort of defeating the purpose of a big motor if you put stock carbs,
xhaust and single port heads on it.  And if you think I am a "stock" guy, just
ake a look at my Baja.  Better yet, I'll take you for a ride in it and show you
hat a 2 liter stroker motor will do to the acceleration of a VW.

tock sprung bus.  But, if I were building an engine for them and still wanted
o look stock I would build a single port 1600 with a dog house for cooling.
esties are also a lot heavier than panel vans or even a nornal kombi or deluxe
o a little extra power to pull all of the weight would be nice.

tock with appearence but will probably upgrade the motor while  staying single
ort.  And maybe add some disc brakes.