[tcb] Trip Report: Hanging out at Denis' Beautiful House

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:48:01 -0500

One day a man named Denis Dodson had built this beautiful home on a Arkansas 300 foot cliff. He was a very entertaining man...

Saturday at 10am we left to go to Denis' la casa. We were traveling in a whole different way this time, in a 2004 Astro Van. This was the route we took to Denis': 45/75/I-40. First Mike drove, then I drove,and then Dan drove. (Mike is Dan's brother,whom we work for)
We arrived at Denis's at 7pm. (Can you believe it only took us 9 hours?)Denis was there to greet us, and he also had some hard cider on ice.
We laughed all night with Denis'. He has so many entertaining stories about his 7-11 commercial career. Then Mike decided to get in Denis' hottub,naked...
Denis then went into the kitchen to fix us some spaghetti. The spaghetti was actually sausage and peppers stewed over night in a special gourmet sauce. So Denis can even make peppers taste great. He is a great chef, Denis you can cook for us anytime.

Sunday we got out of bed at 7am. Denis made breakfast. First we had to make a decision on what he was going to make for breakfast. Either pancakes or biscuits? Dan wanted biscuits, Mike wanted pancakes, I wanted pancakes, Denis wanted biscuits..............................Blah Blah Blah.
We decided on pancakes. Our breakfast consisted of pancakes,eggs,and ham. It was delicious. Thanks again Denis! Then Travis brought us some good coffee and pastries from Panera Bread, thanks Travis that coffee was gooooood. Denis wanted to show us around town so Dan & I got ready to go. We went into town and got some good chicken at the AQ Chicken House it has been there Since 1947, I had the famous AQ chicken, Dan had chicken fried steak, and Denis just had a salad. Then we took the Ghia for a ride around the lake, it was a nice campground with lake access not too far from Denis' house. I rode in the huge back seat of the Ghia, what a ride... Really I enjoyed every minute of the ride. Went back to the house and got some fireworks. We went over to Travis and Joeys' house for dinner and some fireworks. We arrived , Travis & Joey was there to greet us. So was the two cute dogs, named Jack & ... Great party yall, tequila and lemonchello for all. The fireworks drove jack crazy, he liked the fireworks so much he ate a blue smoke bomb and he had blue all over his mouth. It was very cute watching him get ready for the fireworks to go off just like us humans, but we usually don't eat them like he did. I know I had too much tequila. So did Travis. Denis was driving so he only had some lemonchello. That was a great party at Joey & Travis' house, so great we even went back the next day for the 4th. I think we also shot off the rest of the fireworks we bought earlier that day. I was pretty wasted, don't remember much after the 4th tequila shot. Goodnight.

Monday got out of bed, then went back to bed, baddd hangover. Lost my sunglasses, Dan thought he lost his also. I really didn't lose mine, Travis called and said there was a pair of sunglasses at his house that didn't belong to him. So Dan looked on the sun visor of Denis' truck, there they were, Dan's sunglasses. The whole day we all suffered from hangovers, so we napped a lot. Denis also made breakfast: biscuits,sausage, gravy, and eggs. Finally we got up and about and took the Ghia over to Travis & Joey's house. Joey had never seen the Ghia, she liked it. It is really a nice Ghia. Travis & Joey had some family over for the 4th, and they all cooked and brought all kinds of great food. Joey your squash was gooooood. Cucumbers were goooood. Everything else was gooood.
So we had to leave before it got dark because the Ghia has no headlights. We went to the fireworks store and got lots of morter shells and some other stuff, not one snake or sparkler. Then we went back to the house and shot off fireworks. I had one hard cider, dan didn't drink at all, and Denis had a couple of hard ciders. We definately know what fireworks we are having for the Eureka party, lots of misils and morter shells. There was so many fireworks going off around the lake it was like a war of the fireworks. Crack, Pow,Bang until midnight. I just love the 4th. Now I won't be able to go anywhere else for the fourth, nothing could compare to Denis'. We went into the house to go to bed then realized NASA had something going on...
This is what we were watching: The collision is expected to occur around 1:52 a.m. EDT when the comet, traveling through space at 6 miles per second, runs over the impactor, which will be shooting some of the most close-up pictures of Tempel 1 up until its death.
Grammier has likened it to standing in the middle of the road and being hit by a semi-truck going 23,000 mph - "you know, just bam!" The energy produced by the crash will be like detonating nearly 5 tons of TNT.

Guess what we couldn't stay awake , Denis' said he was awake, I know Dan & I were sleeping.

Tuesday, we went out for breakfast at the RED BARN CAFE. It was good, except the lady would not make a smaller pancake for Denis. Denis asked for a smaller pancake the lady says," They are as big as a plate". Denis asked can I have one smaller, she just took our menu's and went to make us breakfast. The whole day trip was soooooo Bufreakincolic, drove to Way Out Salvage and guess what we got lost. I mean really lost. Denis told Dan and I,"Ya I have been there once about a year ago". That place is very hard to find, I don't advise anyone to go there unless you pack a lunch and lots of drink(and a toilet). We stayed lost because we asked for directions from anyone who drove down the road. It was so funny how every time we would ask anyone for directions we would get more lost. The first guy told us, it's by the red trailer, take a left after the red trailer, then go about a 1/2 mile then go right, then go left, then take the fork in the road to the left, should be on the right about 2 miles. Then we asked the mailman for directions, he said, it's about 8 miles down this road, it will fork so take a left at the fork of the road,then look for the road with the dogs on the mailbox. Then we drove up to someone's house and got the guy to draw us a map, once again arkansas dirt road directions, with no numbers on the road. So then we asked someone else, they told us the correct directions. Finally, made it to Way Out Salvage. Great place, no one was there to greet us except for an old St.Bernard mixbreed. He was a cool dog he just came out slowly, then went back into the garage slowly. Moves slower than Thor. Then we looked at all the Volkswagens, there's lots of good stuff we all need for our Volkswagens. If you need any parts for your Volkswagen call them and they will ship it to you, let them ship it... Then Denis taught us a new word: Bucolic means pastoral. The whole trip we chanted, Bufreakincolic, Bufreakincolic,Bufreakincolic,bucolic,bucolic. Gosh something else happened but I am getting writers cramp now. Brain cramp also.

Wednesday, went to breakfast with Mike,Denis,and Dan. Ate at Neal's Cafe.Then went to Pea Ridge National Military Park. Then we went to Eureka Springs, Mike just about freaked when we got to Eureka because of all the tourists there. So Dan drove around all the back roads. Went to look at the Huge Jebus(Jesus), The Passion Play Place. Then went to a huge old motel, Crescent Hotel made in 1886. The view was amazing from the roof top. Then off we go to Thorncrown Chapel. It's about 48 feet tall and surrounded by 6000 square foot of glass. Then we went to eat Italian food at Mary Maestris but the place was not open yet so we went to a Mexican restaurant to have Margaritas until Mary Maestris opens. Well Denis & I had a Peach Daiquiri, Mike had a Diet Coke with a shot of Crown Royal, and Dan had a Dr.Pepper. Finally went to the Mary Maestris Italian Restaurant. They had great wine, that's about it. Then we went back to Denis' house. Thor dug up some of Denis' new grass, so I beat him for the rest of the evening (Just Joking), that's all folks!!!