[tcb] Re: Torquemeister

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:18:17 -0800 (PST)

Hey Todd

  I have all the tools needed to do the engine work your wanting to do. My
opinion is if your going to pull the heads to rering the pistons, go ahead and
split the case and do bearings as well. Too many times have I seen people do a
"top end" only to have the "lower end" fail in a couple of months. We even have
a run stand to break in and tune the engine before reinstalling in your DC. If
you want the help.--- Mark aka "The Vanagon Guy"

prigmores@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
    Does anyone have a torquemeister I could borrow? If not I will have one to
lend out soon. With the lack of VW shops nearby it looks like I'm going to have
to become more self sufficient and do stuff I use to farm out.
  I haven't been happy with how the bus has been running lately. I did a tune
up and replaced plugs and wires, but is still not to where it should be. So I
did a plug chop and compression test yesterday, 1&3 plugs were nice and clean
w/ tan porcelain 3 & 4 were black.
  1 150psi
2 160psi
3 120psi (jumped to 160 after squirting some oil through the plug hole)
4 170psi
  It looks like #3 cylinder has bad rings so I will be pulling the motor and
need to find a place to hone the barrels. I also need to replace the mainseal
to stop a leak there that is I think is causing my (new) clutch to slip (hence
the need for the torquemeister) and also do some other odds and ends. I get
hesitation and surging at partial throttle (25-35 mph) so suspect I may have
some carb issues, maybe plugged main jets (doesn't seem to be running lean),
acceleration is fine though.
  I will be swapping in my backup motor (w/ unknown history) into the DC  so we
can still make the shows. I will be going from 1776, 9.5:1 compression, dual
carb, dual port, electronic ignition, etc, etc to a stock 1600 single port. :^(
  Todd
'59 Doublecab