[tcb] To restore or not to restore

  • From: Julie <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:49:35 -0500

So after all of the struggle (Thanks Tracy for the suggestion to use the little screwdriver.), the fuel tank is out and when I shine a flashlight into it I don't see any rust or sludge or anything but happy, dry, clean metal. When I shake it I don't hear any flakes. So going through the whole POR 15 process of restoring the tank seems silly to me and I might mess things up rather than make it better. Should I just rinse the tank with something before putting it back in just to make sure it is as good a condition as I think it is? Should I stop being a wimp and go ahead and restore?

This Bus has been sitting for years, when I got it last year a friend and I drained the gas out of it. It sure was stinky. I am surprised that the tank seems so clean.

And a completely different question and please forgive it is a Beetle question but let's just pretend that we are talking about a 70 or earlier Bus because drum brakes are drum brakes, right? So finally my Mom's VW is running but the brakes aren't so wonderful. This car is new to us, and a friend suggested that I bleed the brakes first and then adjust them. I thought that I should just go straight to adjusting them. So is he correct? I have never bleed or adjusted brakes but I have seen it done, so I think I can handle it.

Thanks for putting up with me,

Julie