[tcb] Re: Timing

  • From: "Ronnie Hughes" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "fracdogii" for DMARC)
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 14:10:12 -0600

The only symptom was it acting like the starter was dragging or low battery
when starting. Drove around the block and it runs good. No idea how long it
was off.

Never a dull moment with a 50 year old vehicles!

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 16, 2016, at 2:00 PM, sammie smith (Redacted sender "bugcollections"
for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Are you sure it advanced that far? Can't believe it would even start with
the timing that far advanced. Only concern would be inability to start and
possible overheating if you ran it for a long time that far advanced. Not
sure how it happened other than the distributor clamp was not tight enough to
hold the distributor in place.

Timing should be about 30-31 at full advance. Somewhere around 5 or 6 static
depending on what distributor you have. As to valve adjustment; I will only
set my once the engine has cooled at least overnight.

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 12:36 PM, Ronnie <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

So on my cruise up to Bryan yesterday I had a little trouble starting and
found a loose wire on the starter.

This am I did some maintenance, cleaned and tightened connections, etc.
while I was getting dirty checked my timing and it was over 60! Backed it
down to 30-32 and adjusted the idle.

Other than a high idle, I never noticed any problems with that much
advancement. Any ideas on why/how it got that far off?

I'll readjust the valves when it cools off. Do i need to check anything
else?

Thanks

Ronnie

Sent from my iPhone