[tcb] Re: Tighter valves?

  • From: "Will" <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 05:08:08 -0600

How many miles on rhe heads?  It is normal to experience some valve stem
stretch over the life of the alve however it should be less than .004 overall
for the service life.  I've had too many dropped seats and valves over the
years so by 40000 miles I usually now have the heads redone or changed.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
Julie wrote:

Three weeks ago I put on my new stock exhaust and switched out my

valve adjust screws which of course meant adjusting my valves.

It is 1500 miles later and a beautiful day and I had some extra time

so I thought I'd have a look-see to make sure everything seems ok.

Here's what I found: the exhaust valves on 1, 2, and 3 were tighter

than I had set them.  I could not get the .006 feeler gauge in. I

could get the .005 in but it certainly didn't slide in easily.

Should I be worried?  Is there something I might have done

incorrectly? Should I take some action? (I have loosened the tight

ones already.) What makes valves tighten?

Sent from my iPhone